2002 BUICK RENDEZVOUS ABS LIGHT AND SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM

• christoou
  • 2002 Buick Rendezvous

Brakes problem
2002 Buick Rendezvous 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

My ABS light comes on and then my Service Traction System light comes on and then when I put on my brakes they pulsate and make a noise. I took it to a mechanic and he charged me a $50.00 diagnostic charge and he said my ABS sensors where bad on the rear wheels. He said the front was fine. I ordered and replaced my rear wheel hub assemblys which come with new sensors but it did not solve the promblem. I really dont want to go back to him. I am at a lost here. Could in be a speed sensor? Please help, I am very handy and would like to try and fix this myself but don't really know what to fix.

Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 5:38 PM

• merlin2021

If you replaced the rear sensors already, and that was the code that scanned, you need to unplug the sensors, and use an ohm meter to test the wires. You should get a zero or at most 5 ohm reading, Inspect for visual signs of damage or corrosion. This may require some interior trim removal to access the wires. ABS wires are called "twisted pair" as they are twisted together along their run. This makes for easy identification, Also if you want to buy an ABS scanner, Actron makes a unit that reads most US makes to 2005, it's model CP 9449, I googled it and bout one for 114.00 US dollars, not too bad considering the suggested retail is 299.00!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_CP9449_001_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_CP9449_002_2.jpg

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 10:21 AM
  • christoou

Is the ABS sensor the only sensor that will make the ABS light and the Service Traction System light come on? I noticed today that when I turn my front wheels then the lights would come on. Do you think the fronts could be bad? Not sure if I can put alot of faith into what the mechanic told me.

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 10:46 AM
  • merlin2021

Although either front or rear sensors can go bad, it is more common for fronts to set the code, and no there are a few parts that can set codes, the ABS pump, ABS control module, among others, check the wires to the front sensors, one of them may have come out of a retaining clip, and could be rubbing on something and wore through the rubber sheathing. I just got through looking for tech bulletins on the vehicle, and low and behold, there is a new part for the front hub/sensor and wire, seems the original wire is too short and gets stressed on turns! I will email the particulars so you can buy the right parts to repair the front sensors.

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 11:28 AM
  • merlin2021

Reply to your PM.
Do yourself a favor, use the GM parts, aftermarket ones may not have that extra 6mm of length.

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 5:23 PM
  • Mykdee

I have a very similar problem. The TRACTION CONTROL light/display comes on at random and ABS chatters for no apparent reason. How do I get my dealer to repair the ABS with new wire under the tech bulletin at no cost?

Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 11:29 AM
  • merlin2021

It's not a recall, so your vehicle must be under the factory warranty to get free replacement. You didnt say if any of this applies to you. If it does, post your make model and year, also mileage, and I will send the TSB to you if you qualify.

Saturday, June 12th, 2010 AT 8:45 AM
  • Mykdee

2002 Buick Rendezvous CX w/71,000 miles.

It sounds like most of the above applies, but I don't have an ABS scanner to verify. ABS chatters intermittently and traction control light randomly goes on and off. Seems to be worse when raining outside.

Thanks.

Mykdee

Sunday, June 13th, 2010 AT 6:17 AM
  • Mykdee

Thanks.

Mykdee

Thursday, June 24th, 2010 AT 1:10 PM
  • merlin2021

Any local garage can scan the codes for the ABS for you.

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 2:33 AM
  • merlin2021

Here's the tech bulletin : ABS AND/OR TRACTION CONTROL LAMP ON, AWD DISABLED MESSAGE
DISPLAYED, DTCS SET (REPLACE FRONT WHEEL BEARING AND HUB
ASSEMBLY)
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 03-05-25-004A, Date of Issue: April 2004
BUICK: 2002-2004 Rendezvous with All Wheel Drive
CHEVROLET: 2002-2004 Venture with All Wheel Drive
OLDSMOBILE: 2002-2004 Silhouette with All Wheel Drive
PONTIAC: 2002-2004 Aztek, Montana with All Wheel Drive
SECTION: 05 - Brakes
Superceded Bulletin(s): 03-05-25-004, Date of Issue: May 2003
Related Ref Number(s): 03-05-25-004, 03-05-25-004A
ARTICLE BEGINNING
CONDITION
NOTE: This bulletin is being revised to change part number information and
update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number
03-05-25-004 (Section 05 - Brakes).
Some customers may comment that the ABS and/or traction control system lamp is illuminated.
Also, the AWD disabled message may be displayed. Upon investigation, the technician may find
several DTCs set.
CORRECTION
When normal diagnosis leads to the wheel speed sensor as the suspect component, replace the
front wheel bearing and hub assembly, P/N 89047684. Refer to the Wheel Bearing/Hub
Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual. This new part
has 6 mm (0.236 in) added to the harness to prevent any stress to the wiring.
PARTS INFORMATION
PARTS INFORMATION
Part Number Description
89047684 Hub Kit-Front Wheel
Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use: WARRANTY INFORMATION
ABS AND/OR TRACTION CONTROL LAMP ON, AWD DISABLED MESSAGE DIS. Page 1 of 2
Labor Op. Description Labor Time
E2320/E2321 Bearing and Hub Assembly, Front Wheel -
Right/Left - Replace
Use Published Labor
Time
E2327 Bearing and Hub Assembly, Front Wheel -
Both - Replace
Use Published Labor
Time

ABS AND/OR TRACTION CONTROL LAMP ON, AWD DISABLED MESSAGE DIS.

Friday, June 25th, 2010 AT 2:50 AM