1996 Buick Park Avenue engine cranks, wont start

ALVA FRED SMITH
  • 1996 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Okay, I am working on a 1996 buick park avenue ultra. The owner said that it died at a stop light, he tried to start it again and after several cranks it eventually started up again. He drove it home and called me to come take a look. A few days later I arrive to diagnose the problem. I ask him to try to start the vehicle. It starts right up and sounds like it is running perfectly. I have him turn it off and restart the car and it just continues to crank without turning over. He continues until the battery is almost dead and still no start. I am getting spark to the plugs and plenty of fuel pressure from the main fuel line. I changed the plugs, which were all consistanly carboned up, the fuel filter by the tank. Still no start. When cranking the engine I am hearing a unique sound. Sort of like rur, rur, rur, rur. 3-4 sec. Pause rur, rur, rur, rur.3-4 sec. Pause rur, rur, rur, rur. Over and over consecutively with my jumper cables connected. I have thoroughly cleaned both battery post connections as well. Also I have a blinking security light on the dash that the owner claims always did that, but I bet he is not totally sure about that. The dummy lights seem to be flashing speratically as the engine is cranking over. The supercharger is spinning with little resistance as it should with the belt removed and the oil level is full. I am at a total loss as this engine does not have the conventional distributor, but rather electronic ignition. No check engine light is coming on, so I have not pulled any codes as of yet. Should I anyways? I am not sure what to diagnose next but I am committed to finding the problem and am experienced with an ohm meter and would love to get some direction on where to look next. Thanks a million!
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 6:24 AM

DOCFIXIT
Yes look for codes need any clue you can get. Fuel pressure should be 48-55psi check it out. Also pull plug wire hold 1/4" from block crank should have blue/white spark. Let me know
+1
Friday, July 31st, 2009 AT 10:08 AM
ALVA FRED SMITH
No check engine light on but I will check for any codes tomorrow. I am getting a strong spark by this method, and what seemed to be a lot of fuel pressure after removing the main hose from the tank. If you were going to inspect and test the crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, the ignition switch, coils, and control module, what would you start with? Also, as items check out okay, what order would you inpect these items (time saver). Finally, do you think that I am on the right track? Thanks a million, I really appreciate you taking the time!
+2
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 3:27 AM
DOCFIXIT
With presence of spark crank, cam, coils, module are functioning. Spray carb cleaner into air intake crank if it fires then fuel is problem.
+3
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 10:50 AM
ALVA FRED SMITH
This vehicle is supercharged, is there any way to do that with a supercharger? By the way, I also pulled the serpintine belt from the supercharger, and the pully spun with seemingly the appropriate resistance and the oil was at the correct level. I will check those electronic items off my list, that makes good sence to me too now. What a time saver, thanks a million. What do you think about the security system being the culprit? I will get back to you after I pull codes and check the fuel pressure. Thanks again.
+1
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 2:14 PM
DOCFIXIT
Just sprsy into super it will get to cylinders
+1
Monday, August 3rd, 2009 AT 2:22 PM
ALVA FRED SMITH
Okay, I definately have spark to the plugs, although it is of an orangish yellow color instead of blue/white. I definately have plenty of fuel pressure to the fuel rails, but I have not checked beyond that. I sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and the vehicle still does not start but does turn over. I am at a total loss! Any other ideas?
+1
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 5:33 PM
DOCFIXIT
Orange not good weak coil need to replace
Friday, August 7th, 2009 AT 9:16 AM
ALVA FRED SMITH
Okay, replaced all three coils today with new ones. The Buick still cranks and still does not start. I did a "screwdriver" test with the spark plug wire and am still getting the orange/yellow spark even with the new coils. What else would cause this weak spark, and would the weak spark be enough to not allow the engine to start? Thank you in advance for your continued advise and help.
+1
Friday, August 7th, 2009 AT 9:55 PM
ALVA FRED SMITH
Okay, replaced all three coils today with new ones. The Buick still cranks and still does not start. I did a "screwdriver" test with the spark plug wire and am still getting the orange/yellow spark even with the new coils. What else would cause this weak spark, and would the weak spark be enough to not allow the engine to start? Thank you in advance for your continued advise and help.[/Quote:ccecdd6c6b] update. Decided to change the crankshaft position sensor. When preparing to remove the harmonic balancer bolt I found that the bolt hold come loose and cracked the harmonic balancer near the keyway, offsetting the the crank sensor and creating the weak spark. Thanks much to docfixit for leading me in the right direction of a weak spark that lead me to the problem. Hat off to you docfixit, thanks a million!
+1
Saturday, August 8th, 2009 AT 5:59 PM
DOCFIXIT
That's great news sorry I was outof town Fri thur Sun. And was not able to respond to still weak spark condition. My hats of for following through to crank sensor.
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 2:44 PM
ALVA FRED SMITH
Thanks for the congrats and all of the help on this project! One last question for you on the subject. The woodriff sheared off when the harmonic balancer bolt came loose. As you could imagine, I am having quite a struggle pulling the remaining inch of the woodriff still in the keyway. Any tips on extracting that from there besides pulling the engine out and tearing it down to remove the crankshaft.(Fingers crossed!)?
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 7:46 PM
DOCFIXIT
Try a punch tap on end of key it is cresent shaped so the backend should rotate up so you can grab it with needlenose.
+1
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 8:23 AM