1996 Buick Park Avenue cold air only on passenger side

POLKAHOLIC
  • 1996 BUICK PARK AVENUE
What would cause hot air to blow out on the drivers side and only cold on the passenger side?
Tuesday, November 18th, 2008 AT 7:53 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
A likely cause for this make and model is the weakening and subsequent crimping of one or more of the vacuum lines, or softened connector nipples within the A/C programmer. Check your connectors and vacuum lines for any defaults and post your results. I will follow up.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 12:35 AM
POLKAHOLIC
Thanks for the response while checking the vac lines ect behind the glove box I was adjusting all of the settings to try and figure out what devise activates with each setting. When I turned the temp setting to the lowest setting then back up to the highest I had heat on both sides of the car again. I was able to change the settings to all positions and the heat remained on both sides. I put the dash back together and when I tested it again I started out with heat then I heard the sound of the vac line and it switched back to cold air on the passenger side again. I changed the temp to the lowest setting and after I heard the devise complete its rotation I turned the temp back up and the heat is on both sides again. I know I havent fixed the problem but hopefully this will continue to work until I do find the solution.
Sunday, November 23rd, 2008 AT 5:15 PM
FORD33
You are on the right track. With the glove compartment out. Look on top of the heater box there is an arm about 2" long; it is located approx. Behind where the left corner of the glove box would be. This arm attaches to a "not sure if it's a" vacume/ electric motor. The arm is splined and will strip out; causing it to work intermittently till it doesent work at all. I simply disconected the arm from the rod and installed a spring to hold it one way for summer and the other winter.
Hope this helps. Bruce
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 3:10 PM
POLKAHOLIC
Thanks bruce. Your idea sounds like a good one.
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 7:15 PM