1991 Buick Park Avenue pass key system

ANDY6686
  • 1991 BUICK PARK AVENUE
Have 91 buick park avenue. Security system started going off one day then the car wouldnt start. Woud turn the key and nothing would happen power would just cut no noise engine didnt turn over nothing. As long as I wasnt starting the key radio air ext. Would work. Found that one of the two little white wires runing from the security module to the key and tumbler was broken. Spliced it with a butt connecter. Now when I turn the key its clicking at the starter like the starter is bad. Have plenty of power to the starter and just had the starter tested at several different auto parts stores and they all said it was fine. Do you nknow what it could be?
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

MASTERTECHTIM
Did you bypass the ignition cylinder or just repair the broken wire?
+1
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 5:12 PM
ANDY6686
I spliced the broken wire.
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 7:14 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Now what you can do is unplug the orange sheethed wires at base of column where the 2 little white wires are in and use a ohm meter across it with the key inserted in the ignition and see if it reads the resistance of the key, you can check the key resistor by placing leads of ohm meter on either side of key pellet andread resistance. Get back to me.
Monday, March 10th, 2008 AT 8:22 AM
ANDY6686
I read the resistance of the key. Then unplugged the little white wires. Then I tested for resistance without the key and there was nothing. Then I put the key in and sure enough it read the same resistance as the key when I tested it directly. So it appears that I am getting the correct ohms to the security module. What could it be? I tested the ignition module(ignition coil) Tested the alternator, tested the starter, replaced the ignition switchand im getting plenty of power down to my starter When I turn the key and connect the posts. Its just naking a clicking sound from the starter and I can see the starter move a little. I looked at the flywheel no wear the thing even looked shiny. This car was owned by an older lady and was garaged all its life She even had charts that marked all the oil changes and checkups. The car ran exceptionally well untill the security system randomly went off one day. Then it stopped and the car drove fine for a couple of days. Then it went off again I went inside untill it quit and when I came out to start it was just nothing the power would cut completely. Will gladly make a donation if you can help me figure this out.
Tuesday, March 11th, 2008 AT 9:31 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
DOES THIS SYSTEM HAVE OR DID IT HAVE A AFTERMARKET ALARM? DO YOU SEE ANY RED LED LIGHTS SOMEBODY INSTALLED? IS THERE A PUSH BUTTON OR A TOGGLE SWITCH LOCATED UNDER DASH? WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU JUMP THE STARTER MOTOR, WILL IT TURN OVER?
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 6:44 AM
ANDY6686
Talked to the two previous owners and none of them had an after market security system installed. There are no red led lights or toggle switches or push button anywhere that I can see. Removed the whole dash every thing looking for one.I though that maybe there was something after market on it too. When I jump start the vehicle it does the same. First nothing at all then after I spliced the wire the clicking at the starter. I also have put two brandnew batteries in the car.
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 5:06 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
Ok back to the beginning. Remove the engine serp belt so we can eliminate a seized alternator or ac compressor. Then check power at the starter (small purple wire) see if it lights when in crank position. If it lights either its the starter or a seized engine. Get bak to me
Wednesday, March 12th, 2008 AT 5:55 PM
MOORE28

I am having the same issue with a Buick Park Avenue 1999 model. It has been to 2 different shops and now it has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. I have had just about everything new put in $1600 worth of work after they have said these things were the problem, the air comp, ignition, cracked maniford, spark plugs, etc. And the list goes on and on, I demanded my $ back. At first the couldnt get the car to stop/die on them with it hooked up, now it finally has and they still have no awnsers, Is there some specific wiring of the security system they should look at?
+1
Monday, May 5th, 2008 AT 8:17 AM