2002 Buick Century Car will not turn over and start

CLAYTD
  • 2002 BUICK CENTURY
I recently replaced the battery in the car but the engin will not turn over and start however the lights and radio still come on.
Friday, October 2nd, 2009 AT 12:29 PM

Is the starter working?
Friday, October 2nd, 2009 AT 1:00 PM
CLAYTD
Not sure if it is the starter or the alternator. There has not been any warning signs up to this point.
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 9:09 AM
Hi:
the alt will cause the battery to fail, but I needed to know if the starter is working. Does it turn the engine?
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 9:14 PM
CLAYTD
I think it may be the starter as you mentioned. I was able to start the car today. When I turned the key I held it for a long period of time of silence then after trying several times the engine finely fired up.
Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 10:01 PM
I need you to try something so we can confirm this. When it doesn't start, have a helper turn the key to the start position while you check for power to the smaller wire on the starter.

You should have 12+ volts at that point. If you do, then the starter needs replaced. If there is no power, replace the starter relay. It's a cheap part and takes about 30 seconds to replace. If that doesn't take care of it, then we need to check the ignition switch itself. Not a fun job.

Let me know what you find.

Saturday, October 3rd, 2009 AT 10:26 PM
RIDOLFI55
I have the same problem with my century sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesnt.I replaced the starter and it continues to not start sometime. What could be the problem
Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 12:02 PM
Have you checked for power as described in the prior posting?
Thursday, October 8th, 2009 AT 12:45 PM