MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR

2000 Buick Century

Rbrooks

July, 23, 2008 AT 7:47 PM

2000 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 169000 miles

Will a bad mass air flow sensor cause the plugs to foul out? I just replaced the sensor. It ran fine until the engine heated up and then it felt like the plugs were misfiring. Could this happen?

mastertechtim

July, 23, 2008 AT 7:50 PM

No. Are the plugs actually gas soaked?

Rbrooks

July, 23, 2008 AT 8:13 PM

No sir. But the code when checked said the MAF was bad and that is was missing on three cylinders. That is why I was wondering about the fouled plugs. I replaced them last week after I got the reading but did not replace the MAF until today (7-23-08)

mastertechtim

July, 23, 2008 AT 8:18 PM

I dont think you have fouled plugs or if you do its not from the mass air flow sensor. First thing to check is remove the vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator and see if there is any sign at all of gasoline in it or the hose is real spongy, if it is then replace the fuel pressure regulator because the rubber diaphram has ruptured and it is leaking raw fuel into cylinders causing flooding. Also checkl the coil towers for rust.

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995