ENGINE STARTS RUNS THEN STALLS

1996 Buick Century

backwoodbill

April, 26, 2009 AT 4:19 AM

1996 Buick Century 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 50,000 miles

engine starts runs then stalls problem has been progressive it began stalling every so often and predominately while vehicle was in motion I have replaced fuel filter used code reader replaced mass air flow sensor according to code on reader prob. Still exists next checked for fuel to throttle body or injectors start engine and sprayed either into air intake engine will stay running while either is supplied you can hear the fuel pump whirr! When the ign. Key is turned to the on position also while engine is running checked for fuel presure at schrader valve on fuel rail and with engine not running by means of depressing the valve with pocket screw driver just a trickle of fuel comes out it is my belief that there should be high pressure fuel comming out of that test port when the schrader valve is depressed also (note) rechecked with code reader and the code for a trouble maf sensor does not appear any longer iam a profesional appliance tech but iam affraid this is more complex to diagnose properly than a washing machine help my wife wants to get rid of the car it was her aunts and is almost in mint cond. I want to keep it as I know it is not a serios prob. Iam disabled and cannot afford to throw a good vehicle away for lack of patience or for me lack of expertise any help will be appreciated thank you! Frustrated wash machine mech.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

April, 26, 2009 AT 4:48 AM

Hook up a fuel pressure tester to the test port and comeback with the readings. The readings should be 41-47 psi Do you have this?

backwoodbill

April, 27, 2009 AT 7:10 AM

Dear razamatazz
I do not have a fuel pressure tester but I dont think one is required as when I depress the schrader valve on the fuel rail test port with the engine running or not the amount of pressure and fuel dispelled out of the port is less than I can spit forgive the metaphore what are your thoughts on the fuel regulator being defective sorry I do not have a vaccuum tester to check that either but I can draw a vaccuum on it with my refrigeration vaccuum pump if that would be helpful otherwise it is a guessing fly by the seat of my pants affair and again you can hear the fuel pump whirr when the ign. Key is turned to the on position backwoodbill !

April, 27, 2009 AT 7:45 AM

Sir-I need that fuel pressure before I can continue w/o it I have no way to rule out the fuel system to go into different areas.