Brake pedal went to the floor

RENE ROSA
  • 2000 CHEVROLET ASTRO
  • AWD

Brake pedal went to the floor seemed I would have no brakes. I took van to the mechanic $600.00 for new master cylinder and more (do not have the list yet) left the shop drive in van and ABS brake went bonkers for a moment going five mph no problems with road etc (seemed like right front). Took van around town doing errands seemed okay. Got on highway for a forty three mile trip home. At sixty mph van began hard, horrid strong nasty vibration, not a shimming it was like nothing I ever experienced before. Nearest exit was miles away by the time I reach exit the vibration had subsided for the most part. Later, van loaded with groceries I continued home. Exiting the highway began braking about sixty to sixty five mph and van pulled hard to right. Tested her numerous time always at any speed she pulled hard to right while braking. Took van back to the shop before Thanksgiving she is still there. I believe it was faulty workmanship (electricity had gone out for hours while work was being done) or faulty parts. Mechanic is nice gut. Husband is Nam vet and I do not want him to get angry. Mechanic cannot figure out problem. I now have a worthless van unless a miracle happens are you the miracle. Could you call the mechanic and talk to him so I do not need to get my defective van with an angry husband. After all it is the holiday season. Thanks

Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 AT 8:06 PM

Have the brake hose checked out on that side and scan ABS for codes to see if any. If hose is bad both sides should be replaced.

Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 6:56 AM
RENE ROSA

"Grandma Got Run Over by a Brake Job"
Grandma got run over by a brake job
With Thanksgiving turkey in the van
You can say there's no such thing as bad luck
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe

The mechanic had been drinkin' too much egg nog
Had we known to the shop we d not go
But she'd left her van for brake work
And she stumbled with the bill into the road

Grandma got run over by a brake job
With wet laundry, celery, carrots in the van
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe

Now were all so proud of Grandpa
He's been takin' this so well
See him in there watchin' football
Drinkin' malta and eatin ham and cheese with crackers

There s no Christmas without four wheel
All the roads are slippery black
And we just can't help but wonder
Should we sell the van or bust it up?

Grandma got run over by a brake job
Hopin for a trip to Texas Christmas eve
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe

Now the truck is also rotten
Grandpa blew the engine well
And a short and lots of sputters
That should not happen causin grey hair on Grandma s head

I've requested all my friends and neighbors
Do they have a truck to sell
Or a van with all wheel drive
To a grandma so grandpa can see the doctor

Grandma got run over by a brake job
Hopin for a safe ride down the road
But as for me and Grandpa, we believe!

Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 7:30 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey RENE,

We have a great article about brake pull, it sounds like the mechanics twisted a brake hose when he put the caliper back on.

Here is the guide

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-pulls-right-or-left-when-driving-or-braking

Please let us know what happens,

Best, Ken

+1
Thursday, December 8th, 2016 AT 5:00 PM
RENE ROSA

Ken - I apologize, the mechanic was not drinking eggnog. I was simply rewriting stanzas. These are issues- idle arms, ball joints and control arm. Expensive work. Mechanic could not guaranty a fix. In Your Opinion, should these repairs be made would there be a better than 75% chance of solving the right brake pull?

Friday, December 9th, 2016 AT 6:35 AM

Idler arms and ball joints don't deal with brakes to much control arm bushings can make it pull in one direction or other but they have to be bad and it would be the side that is pulling. Normally upper ones do that. Have the hoses been checked in last two replies? They will do it as well as a frozen caliper on opposite side. Or caliper not sliding like it's supposed too.

+1
Friday, December 9th, 2016 AT 7:21 AM
RENE ROSA

The paper work on the brake job is in the van with the mechanic. Control arm bushing is OK. Everything has been checked and rechecked. I'm calling the mechanic to see if he has email address to forward the link. He is a great guy and fit to be tied. Must get my veteran husband to hospital the 19th - 3 hours away in winter weather.

Friday, December 9th, 2016 AT 7:27 AM

This could also bean abs problem so he should scan for codes and if he has the correct scanner, command the valves open on abs and rebleed system.

Friday, December 9th, 2016 AT 11:59 AM
RENE ROSA

Thank you for all the information. This is a great site and the advice terrific. Picked up the van, we are able to use it, can't afford to replace it. Will visit another mechanic for further assistance. Best wishes for a safe and joyful holiday season. Me

Saturday, December 10th, 2016 AT 4:52 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Looking forward to what they say, please let us know.

+1
Saturday, December 10th, 2016 AT 11:23 AM
RENE ROSA

Ken, I've been driving the van - as in the first email, it may very well have been a mistake in workmanship (the electricity had gone out in the shop for hours while work was being done on the van) or that there had been a faulty part. Although the mechanic said the problem had not been rectified, it has, Perhaps the other costly front end work which I'll get done eventually if it is actually needed would have been more income for the mechanic. Merry Christmas - have a good one.

Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 1:04 PM