BRAKE PEDAL TOO SOFT

• Leialoha82
  • 2001 Honda Civic

Just replaced calipers, rotors, pads in front and adjusted rear drums. When car is off pedal is firm, catches where it should, when car is on pedal goes almost to the floor and if pumped goes back to firmness. There is no air in the lines and new fluid has been bled through the whole system (used approx. 2 big bottles) and no leaks. What else needs to be done to get a firm pedal again? Pedal was firm before brake job, changed everything because calipers were having different issues.

Monday, May 6th, 2013 AT 6:00 AM

• KHLow2008

Check the caliper slider bolts for binding. Check rear slave cylinders for seizure and recheck the rear brake adjustment, which actually requires no adjustment as they are self adjusted but the handbrake cable must be adjusted correctly with sufficient free play.

If vehicle is equipped with ABS, check the ABS pump.

Monday, May 6th, 2013 AT 7:56 AM
  • Leialoha82

Checked the caliper slide bolts during installation. And Slavs cylinders looked fine when I looked at the rear brakes. Adjustment only shortened parking brake pull length.
As for the ABS pump box how do I check that?

Monday, May 6th, 2013 AT 10:40 AM
  • KHLow2008

Shortening the handbrake cable is the mistake made by a lot of people who do not understand how the brake system works. The shoes are extended as they are being partially activated all the time whereas the slave cylinders would be compressed.

The handbrake cable must have free play for the self adjusting mechanism to work and after that the handbrake almost never needs to be adjsuted.

Loosen the handbrake cable until there is free play. Remove the rear drums and manually adjust the adjuster until the drum can barely be mounted and retest.

Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 AT 6:07 AM
  • Leialoha82

Maybe I just worded it wrong but what I ment is when I adjusted the drums in the rear and the only noticeable change was the parking brake pull lever height.
Do I need to go into the center counsel and adjust the parking brake pull lever too?
How about the ABS pump? How can I check to see if its working properly?

Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 AT 6:51 AM
  • Leialoha82

Thanks for the help but we got it figured out. Next time ill be sure that the box is labelled correctly when installing. Accidentally put the right on left and left on right.
Bleeder valve should always be facing upwards!

Wednesday, May 8th, 2013 AT 6:40 AM
  • KHLow2008

Glad to now the problem has been resolved.

Have a nice day.

Wednesday, May 8th, 2013 AT 10:11 AM