Front brake pad and rotor replacement instructions please?

STEELBURNER
  • 2012 VOLVO S60
  • TURBO
My brake pad came off. From looking at the way the pad "set" I suspect it was not properly installed. I have a new one now. How can I do the job myself?
Monday, December 3rd, 2018 AT 4:20 PM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Sorry to hear about the improper brake installation. This is the correct way. Here is a tutorial showing what is involved on how to change front brake pads and brake rotors:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

I've attached picture steps below on how to change the front brake pads and rotors on your vehicle. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Thursday, February 18th, 2021 AT 11:06 PM
MAEHLERS
  • 2007 VOLVO S60
  • AWD
I'm planning on replacing the pads (and probably the rotors) on our 07 S60. Any advice? I've done brakes on Fords and Hondas -- but this will be my first Volvo. Anyone know of any step by step guides?
Friday, February 19th, 2021 AT 7:32 PM (Merged)
Hi,

Replacing front brake pads and rotors isn't too hard of a job. In general, you can expect the brakes to last about 25000 miles. It has become common to replace brake rotors every time pads are replaced. However, if you have no brake pulsation or shaking in the steering and the rotors are in good shape, they will likely last for another set of brake pads.

First, here is a link that shows in general how pads and rotors are replaced. You can use this as a guide.

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

____________________________________

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T L5-2.5L Turbo VIN 59 B5254T2
Brake Pads Front, Replacing
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Pad Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Brake Pads Front, Replacing
BRAKE PADS FRONT, REPLACING
Brake pads front, replacing

Removal

Note! Minimum thickness for replacing the brake pads = 2 mm.

Remove the retaining spring and locating pins

pic 1

Remove:
- the retaining spring (3) carefully so that it does not deform
- the protective caps (1) from the two locating pins (2)
- the locating pins, use hex socket 7 mm.

Remove the brake caliper and brake pads

pic 2

Remove:
- the brake caliper from the holder
- the brake pads.
Hang the brake caliper by a steel wire from the front spring so as not to damage the brake hose.

Note! Do not depress the brake pedal while the brake pads are removed.

Clean and check the brake caliper and dust cover

pic 3

Clean and check the brake pad mating surfaces in the brake caliper and caliper holder.
Clean the sliding pins using a steel brush.
Check the piston dust boot. Replace the dust boot if it is damaged.

Note! If the dust boot is damaged dirt may have penetrated the cylinder. The brake caliper must be reconditioned. See Reconditioning front brake calipers See: Brake Caliper > Overhaul > Reconditioning Front Brake Calipers.

Check the brake disc

pic 4

Check brake disc friction surfaces.
If the brake disc displays signs of out-of-true, check its lateral run out. See Brake disc front, calibrating See: Brake Rotor/Disc > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Brake Disc Front, Calibrating.
Replace the brake disc if it displays signs of heavy wear, variable thickness or similar. To replace, see Replacing front brake discs, B5244T5, B5254T2 See: Brake Rotor/Disc > Removal and Replacement > Replacing Front Brake Discs.

Note! Minimum recommended disc thickness / replacement limit = 23.0mm. Minimum recommended disc thickness when installing new brake pads = 23.8mm.For 16" brake discs the minimum thickness / replacement limit = 25mm. Minimum recommended disc thickness when installing new brake pads = 25.8mm.

Installation

Lubricating the sliding surfaces

pic 5

Lubricate the contact surfaces of the brake pads using silicone grease, part no. 1161687 (12 ml) or part no. 1161688 (50 ml)
(Do not lubricate the sliding pins)

Refit the brake lining and brake caliper

pic 6

Press piston back into cylinder on brake caliper.
Check that the dust cover is correctly positioned.

Install:
- new brake pads
- the brake caliper.

Install the locating pins in the brake caliper

pic 7

Check the rubber sleeves of the locating pins. Replace if necessary.
Insert the locating pins in the rubber sleeves.
Tighten the locating pins. Tighten to 30 Nm. Install the protective caps (1).
Install the retaining spring (3).

Check the brake fluid level in the reservoir

pic 8

Depress the brake pedal a few times. Check the level of the brake fluid reservoir.
Top up if necessary.

Mount the wheels.
Installing wheels See: Wheels > Removal and Replacement.

____________________________________

Here are the directions for rotor replacement.

Replacing Front Brake Discs
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Rotor/Disc Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Replacing Front Brake Discs
REPLACING FRONT BRAKE DISCS
Replacing front brake discs

Removal

Remove the securing spring and locating pins
See Brake pads front, replacing, B5244T5, B5254T2 See: Brake Pad > Removal and Replacement > Brake Pads Front, Replacing.

Remove the brake caliper and brake pads

Remove the caliper holder and the brake disc

pic 9

Remove:
- both the mounting screws (4) for the caliper holder. Remove the holder
- the locating pin (5) and the brake disc.

Cleaning and inspection

pic 10

Note! Cleaning is important to prevent lateral runout at the brake disc.

Clean the hub flange before installing the new brake disc.
Check the hub. If it is damaged, measure the lateral runout. See Front wheel hub, measuring lateral runout See: Wheel Hub > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Front Wheel Hub, Measuring Lateral Runout.

Installation

Install the brake disc

pic 11

Note! Be careful when handling the new brake disc. Careless handling can cause damage to the brake disc (out-of-true).

Install:
- the new brake disc. Tighten the locating pin (5). Tighten to 8 Nm
- the caliper holder. Use new mounting screws (4). Tighten to 100 Nm.

Install the brake pads and brake caliper

Install the wheel
Installing wheels See: Wheels > Removal and Replacement

__________________________

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care and God Bless,

DEEDEE1961
  • 2006 VOLVO S60
Should I go with ceramic or metallic brakes
Friday, February 19th, 2021 AT 7:33 PM (Merged)
JIS001
Ceramic pads but do not buy the cheap ceramics Kragen has for like $20 or $30 dollars. True ceramic pads are expensive but they dust very little and your rims look a lot cleaner and make no noise vs. The metalics which they will make all kinds of noises from squeeking to grinding depending on the brand you buy and your rims get pretty dusty after a week.
JAGV71
  • 2004 VOLVO S60
Tools needed to fix front brakes on the vehicle listed above? I need to replaced rotors and brake pads.

Thank you.
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

If you are using the factory lug wrench and jack to raise the car and take the wheels off you will need a three eighths drive ratchet, Three eights drive 7mm hex socket, Flat blade screwdriver, And a c-clamp. Here is a tutorial for you to view showing how to remove and replace the brake pads and rotors:

I've attached picture steps below on how to replace the brake pads and rotors on your car. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
FLACUROM
  • 2004 VOLVO S60
How can I remove the brake caliper o f my volvo s60 2004. I already removed the two bolts and the antisqueek spring but can not remove the caliper
JIS001
Your brake pads could be hanging on the lip of the brake rotor. Use a long flat tip screwdriver and pry the inside pad to push the piston in a little and then pry up on the caliper to remove. If the lip of the rotor is pretty thick then you should replace them since most likely you have already gone under the discarded spec.
PMOREAU1
  • 2004 VOLVO S60
  • AWD
I need you to help me with a brake job.
SEVAG PAESEGHIAN

Check the instructions below you can replace front brake pads and discs by yourself.

check our guide below how to replace front pads and rotors.

Check the diagrams and instructions below how to replace and inspect front pads and rotors.

hope these helps.

thank you.
ROBRON
  • 2004 VOLVO S60
Good day. This is a follow-up question regarding the vibration while braking?Volvo workshop recommended for complete new tires and rims and so I did. After doing so, the problem still persist. Now they are recommending the collapsed front suspensions to be changed as the potential source of the vibration problem. I am not satisfied with their diagnosis, said it could be the engine supports or the engine itself which is being opposed by volvo workshop. What do you think shall I do? Thank you very much.
SEVAG PAESEGHIAN

Vibration while braking sounds like front rotors has excessive runout must be replaced with front pads.

check our link below how to replace front brake discs and pads

Check the diagrams below how to replace the pads and discs with the calibration and the rotor lateral run out test.

hope these helps.

thank you.

Sponsored links