Brake lights not working

ARYANNASMOM
  • 2013 HYUNDAI SONATA
I replaced the brake light switch due to the car dealership telling me it had to be replaced. The brake lights still do not turn on when pressing the pedal. Also, my ESC light stays on and cruise control does not work. The fuses seem good as well. What is the next thing to check?
Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 4:35 AM

PATENTED_REPAIR_PRO
There are actually three fuses to check, the "stop lamp" of course and the "ECU 4" both in the e/r fuse and relay box, plus the "pdm 2" in the I/p fuse box.
There is also a stop signal relay that could as well be bad if all those fuses are okay and have power.
Here is the brake lamp wiring diagram. I see the ESC module in that diagram, so when you find out what is causing the stop lamps not to work, I suspect you will also fix that ESC problem as well and most likely get the cruise working again as well, because it too is related to the stop lamp switch.
+6
Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 5:54 AM
ARYANNASMOM
One of the fuses I did not check before was actually blown so I replaced it and will see if that works when I get to work.
Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 1:29 PM
ARYANNASMOM
That was it. Thanks for the help, great site BTW.
+1
Monday, February 4th, 2019 AT 5:29 PM
DEBBIE_ALLEN@COMCAST.NET
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SONATA
Why wont my brake lights turn off they are on all the time when you turn on the lights
Monday, February 4th, 2019 AT 5:30 PM (Merged)
2CEXPT
Find the brake switch on the brake pedal bracket and try to adjust it-unable to do it -replace it.
-1
ANUBUSANPU
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SONATA
I am having a problem with my brake lights staying on. I noticed that after I got to work the other day my co worker told me that I had left my lights on.I was certain it was not my head lights because I had checked them.I mashed my brakes and then went out and I thought that was the end of it but when I came down stairs to go to lunch I noticed that they were back on but due to my suprise the battery was not drained. For the last two days I have had this issue and I have no clue to what is wrong and I need your WISDOM.
+1
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Suspect a faulty brake light switch. The switch is located on the brake pedal arm, under driver side dash. If it sticks it will cause the brake lamps to remain on.
+5
ANUBUSANPU
First thing first. Thankyou for the advice, the switch itself was loose and not all the way connected. Here is the thing ever since it has been connected it now seems like the brakes are locking up and stalling the engine and you can smell hot metal. The car will not move, you can put it in gear and feel it go forward or backwards but will not budge as if the brakes are locked tight. After a hour so after setting up you can crank it up and go as if nothing had ever been wrong and low and behold after about 20 minutes of driving the same thing occurs again.
KHLOW2008
Hi anubusanpu,

Seems that to resolve a problem you had created another.

When reinstaling the brake switch, the free travel between the pedal and push rod had been misadjusted resulting in the push rod pushing against the booster and this would result in partial application of the brakes at all times. When driving, the brake fluid would heat up resulting in the seizing of the brakes.

If the brake pedal switch is adjustable and has a lock nut, loosen the locknut, disconnect the wire socket. Loosen the brake switch till it is not touching the stopper on the pedal. ( Ensure stopper is in good condition). Slowly turn in till the switch central pin is almost fully depressed. Retighten the lock nut and test free travel. There should be a little clearance ( 3 to 8mm) before the pedal pushes the push rod forward.

If the brake switch is non adjustable, you need to loosen the locknut on the push rod and turn the rod anti clockwise (looking from pedal side) to get the desired free travel.
+2
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Great follow-up KHLow2008 , thanks :D
-1
JEREMYTW97
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SONATA
My cars tail lights will not turn off. Even when the key is out and the headlights are not on. The only way to turn them off is to disconnect the battery. When you hook the battery back up, they turn right back on.
+1
IS it the brake lights?
JEREMYTW97
No, when you press your foot on the brake, the light just stays dim like a tail light.
If it is the brake lights that are staying on, I feel the problem is in the brake light switch. It is located on the top of the brake pedal. Check to see if it is properly adjusted first. IF it is, check it for operation. If it seems to work properly, check to see if there is both power in to it and if there is power out.

Let me know what you find.
-2
CANCINO
  • 2001 HYUNDAI SONATA
My brake light stay on and I need to disconnect the battery when the car is not being used. I looked for the brake switch on the arm of the brake but it isnt there. Is there another location? Could that be the only problem - the switch?
+1
Monday, February 4th, 2019 AT 5:31 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The brake light switch is on the brake pedal bracket, may have to remove lower instrument panel under steering wheel to see it better and yes that is the most likely cause.
SECKMANJRF
  • 2002 HYUNDAI SONATA
Brake lights are always on when lights are on. I have changed out brake switch which did not fix the the problem.
+1
HAGERTP
Fuse box is suspected, and it might require replacement. Part number according to my query is 91950-3K050
EVE_N
  • 2004 HYUNDAI SONATA
Change brake light switch rear window brake light works but brake lights on rear of car will not work
RIVERMIKERAT
Try swapping them out with new ones. If the third brake light/collision avoidance light is working, that means the switch is working. Check the grounds and the connections at the brake light pigtails.

Sponsored links