You are correct about very little space to work with and mostly you would not be able to perform it as per instructions from the manual.
Many mechanics have cursed and swear at the design and here is how some have managed to get it replaced.
1. Open trunk and disconnect extension cord from socket.
2. Fold both rear seats down and disconnect the center shoulder belt from base.
3. Remove 6 screws from plastic trim panle.
4. Partially remove both rear door seals to aid step 5.
5. Remove both rear window trim panels, one screw hides behind the SRS button.
6. Pop the two push clips at center of pakage tray and approx 5 inches from each side.
7. Slide the package tray forward to clear clips for baby seat.
8. Lift front of tray up and slide forward and out.
9. Change the single 3rd brake light bulb ( p/n 912)
10. Reverse removal procedure for instalation.
Job should be 1/2 to an hour dpending on skill level.
Wednesday, September 8th, 2010 AT 1:00 PM