Instrument cluster not working

HELIPIL0T
  • 2000 BMW Z3
Electrical problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

In a morning the rev / temp / fuel gauges do not work everything else is fine ! Drive 3 - miles with the car now warmed up stop and restart all gauges work as normal any ideas please.
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 8:36 AM

DR. HAGERTY
Very possibly an internal fault in the cluster. Try cycling the key off and back on when it is still cold, does the cluster come back?
-2
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:18 AM
HELIPIL0T
I have tried that the fuel gauge gives a little movement then goes back to zero, Once I have run for a few miles and the interior of the car is warm on a restart all works fine, I know it sounds stupid but it appears to be temperature related.
-1
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:21 AM
DR. HAGERTY
I agree, temperature seems to be a factor. I have access to a spare cluster, if I were the repairing technician, I would swap them to see if the issue remains. How shall we proceed?
-1
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:26 AM
HELIPIL0T
Would I not have a problem swapping the cluster as I believe it has to be reprogrammed by a BMW dealer, also it is a six cylinder model and this is different to the standard 1.9 with the red line settings on the tacho ( or so I have been told :-) )
-1
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:31 AM
DR. HAGERTY
There is a difference in the clusters, and swapping them temporarily is not going to cause problems, just dont drive the car more than around the block. If you do swap the clusters, the only real downside is the manipulation dot will illuminate. It is a red LED in the odometer area. Recoding an already dedicated cluster to your car is not possible, but like I said, the downside is simply the manipulation dot will be on.
-1
Monday, October 18th, 2010 AT 9:41 AM
CMCCOLL
Hi HELIPOLOT,
Did you ever resolve the problem with your z3 instrument gauges not working when cold? My 01 Z3 has the same problem.
-1
Sunday, April 16th, 2017 AT 6:56 AM
KEN

I believe this was a cluster problem that fixed the issue.

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken
-1
Tuesday, April 18th, 2017 AT 12:08 PM