WINDSHIELD WIPERS

1998 BMW 740

racocelli

August, 7, 2008 AT 11:11 PM

1998 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

The windshield wipers on my 1998 BMW 740il stopped working months ago, and then suddenly started working again, but only when the car is in motion. For example, sitting in the driveway after starting the car the wipers do not work. Driving down the road thereafter they come on, somewhat sluggishly, but basically function normally. They seem to continue to work somewhat normally, but when I come to a stop sign or red light, they stop working, usually in midwipe. After I start moving again they come back on. This has been happening consistently for a few months. Most mechanics I talk to say they have never heard of this problem. My local dealership was ready to replace the wiper motor (for $850), but the motor is broken why do the wipers work normally when the car is moving?

Dr. Hagerty

August, 7, 2008 AT 11:56 PM

Please repost with the vehicle identification number

racocelli

August, 8, 2008 AT 7:42 AM

Why would the vehicle identification number be relevant?

Dr. Hagerty

August, 8, 2008 AT 7:09 PM

It is important in as much as the issue may be vehicle specific. If it is not too much to ask just send it as a private message and then no one will know except you and me.

Dr. Hagerty

August, 16, 2008 AT 9:10 PM

Maybe the car was stolen!

Wiper Blade Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Windshield Wiper Replacement Toyota Corolla
Wiper Blade Replacement Acura MDX
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Wiper Blade Replacement Porsche Carrera
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Mercedes
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Ford F-250
Wiper Blade Replacement Toyota Tundra