IDLE CONTROL VALVE PROBLEM

1998 BMW 740

whitakerr

February, 6, 2009 AT 7:52 PM

1998 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 165000 miles

I've been experiencing constant cold start problems and the following codes p0170, p0173 and p0505.
I have replaced the Idle Control Valve but still get the errors. I'm at a lost for what to do next do you have any ideas?

Jack42

February, 6, 2009 AT 8:02 PM

I have forwarded your link to our resident BMW expert. He should be with you shortly

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com

Dr. Hagerty

February, 6, 2009 AT 9:36 PM

When you say cold start, what do you mean? Long crank times, hesitates and then starts, starts and then dies? The P0173 is a fuel trim code that might be there for several reasons. The P0505 idle system control malfunction might be the throttle position sensor either throwing a plausibility fault or in need of adjustment. Get back with me and let me know the answers to the questions about cold start, I'll be here.

whitakerr

February, 7, 2009 AT 8:29 PM

By cold starts I mean the car has been sitting all night, so the first start of the day is very rough. No hesitation nor long crank times, the car fires right up just runs rough. Once the car has warmed up it runs fine from that time on. I'm puzzled, you say the throttle position sensor can be adjusted and I didn't think it could be adjusted. The TPS was replaced less then 6 months ago. Thanks for your reply.

Dr. Hagerty

February, 7, 2009 AT 11:40 PM

The TPS is fixed, yes, but there is an adjustment for the throttle plate, and it can adversely affect the idle quality. As to the rough idle on cold start, start with the basics(state of tune, leaky injectors, intake manifold leaks, worn spark plugs) and maybe try some injector cleaner.

Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L