BLOWER AND HEAT FAN

1996 BMW 740

nebmwguy

August, 17, 2009 AT 10:54 AM

Air Conditioning problem
1996 BMW 740 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 92271 miles

I have checked all fuses which are ok. I am told the blower, speed module part and motor need to be replaced requires the dash boardneeds to be removed.

Are you familiar with this repair? I am concerned the about squeaks and rattles if the dash is taken in and out. Do you have an idea of estimated cost in the Northeast Area.

The LED's indicating temperature and fan speed light up indicating increase and decrease but is there a way around the cost of above.

The car has low milage and well maintained.

Thank so much,
Dave

Jack42

August, 17, 2009 AT 4:03 PM

Looks like the labor guide pays around 8 hours of labor and the blower motor is 270.00 I dont have a listing for the resitor though. If there are any problems after the work, have them go back until they get it right. If you have any worries, go to a BMW specialty shop or dealer, they are familiar with them and would probably be more likely to get it together correctly

Dr. Hagerty

August, 17, 2009 AT 8:42 PM

Jack old buddy, I dislike contradicting you but the fan blower and final stage controller is only about a 3 hour job according to BMW warranty time, so maybe 4 hours to get the dash cap off, replace the fan and the final stage and reassemble, I did one today in a bit over an hour and a half start to finish, it does help if you have done it several times! If you do the repair, replace the final stage and the fan motor as a set, trust me on this.

Jack42

August, 17, 2009 AT 11:42 PM

Not a problem Doc, rather be corrected than the wrong info going out. In my defense I did look it up in Mitchell. Lol

Dr. Hagerty

August, 18, 2009 AT 9:01 AM

If Mitchell or All Data were close, I would have not said anything. At my work I find All Data to be too generous at times and Mitchell too, I think they are using Motor to guide them and it is not doing this industry any favors. No wonder folks think car repair is a rip off.

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro