2007 BMW 530 IMPROPER IDLE

• mylesdad331
  • 2007 BMW 530

2007 BMW 530 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 44,000 miles

I have an BMW 530 xi and I notice that when I stop and the air conditioner is one the car idles up and down, a flutter in the engine maybe. Have you ever heard of this problem? I took it in and they said the computer is not giving any code for a problem. I am the 2nd owner. Thanks.

Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 10:50 AM

• Dr. Hagerty

I have seen what you are experiencing. It might be software. Has the dealer committed to reprogramming the car to deal with the idle, or are they playing stupid?

Thursday, August 12th, 2010 AT 7:54 PM
  • mylesdad331

They are playing stupid. Any idea on what I can do to get them to reprogram the car? Thanks.

Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 7:25 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Threaten them, or have a temper tantrum. The dealerships always seem to have their own agenda, and it often includes a lack of customer service.

Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 7:34 AM
  • mylesdad331

Will do, I'll write back and let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 7:48 AM
  • mylesdad331

Just talked to my husband and it turns out they have reset the engine recently to correct the problem. Should be have them do it again or check for something else? Thanks.

Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 9:30 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

I am unsure of my response here, are you having some issue with the idle quality, or is this a perception? I am sure that I do not comprehend the scope of this problem and I really do want to help. Is the car having a driveability issue or is it just your perception?

Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 8:20 PM
  • mylesdad331

When you stop at a light the car acts as if it is going to cut off, like a flutter. The RPM needle moves up and down. It doesn't do this all the time.

Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 9:44 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

BMW has had the Valvetronic engine in production for 8+ years and as a technician, I have seen my share of complaints about idle quality. As far as what is next, the may be some ground to cover with an ombudsman or another outside party, like what the BMW CCA has, are you a car club member?

Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 10:41 AM
  • mylesdad331

I am a club member.

Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 11:03 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

As a club member there are club services that I recommend you look into, the Roundel has a club services page that has the regional ombudsman information, have you considered them? Mike Miller is the technical editor and has a column and an Email address, he might be able to shed light on your plight. Techtalk@roundel. Org

Saturday, August 14th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM