ENGINE COOLING PROBLEM2002 BMW 530 6 CYL TWO ...

2002 BMW 530

blackzoro

June, 23, 2008 AT 2:45 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2002 BMW 530 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

I bought a used bmw from auction, with no service history. I want to know if I need to change water pump
or not. Is their any way to check this item.

Also about AT, do I need to change the trans filter and oil.
regards

airsoftsoldrecn9

June, 23, 2008 AT 3:57 AM

What makes you think it is the water pump? Unless it is frozen, squealing or corroded so bad on the inside that the turbine would not move water then it should be perfectly fine. You purchased a car at an auction with no maintenance history and it is overheating on you? Most of the time the auctioneer or seller will allow for you to have it inspected by a mechanic (he should be required to and if he dosen't then he probably was hiding something). You need to do a compression check on the engine and make sure it is ok and also change all the lubricants, engine, transmission, differentials and scrutenize everything for metal shavings, mixtures of fluids or any other abnormalities.

Dr. Hagerty

June, 23, 2008 AT 4:44 AM

The M-54 motors are notorious for poor water pumps. I would change it at that mileage as well as the radiator and expansion tank if you are unsure of the history. Think of it as protecting your investment. The automatic transmission should be serviced as well. An inspection of the vehicle before the car sees service would be wise.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement