AIR GETS WARM WHEN SITTING IN TRAFFIC

1994 BMW 530

joust77

July, 15, 2008 AT 1:55 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1994 BMW 530 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

In the last few weeks I have noticed my air conditioning is not producing the frigid air it once did. It still gets cold, just not frigid, when driving at speed down the road but when sitting in traffic or at a stop light it begins to get warmer. I looked at it today and when I initially started my car, the AC got cold but as I let it sit there and the temp of the car increased the air from the air conditioner began to warm a bit.

Docfixit

July, 15, 2008 AT 2:08 PM

Verefy that the cooling fan is coming on if not car will not draw enough air through condensor

joust77

July, 15, 2008 AT 2:16 PM

The car only has one fan; I have had 2 in a Saab, but only one in the BMW. It does come on.

Docfixit

July, 15, 2008 AT 2:22 PM

It should have two speeds withAC on it should be high. JUst a test in driveway get a hose get it warmed up so ac air warms then mist water on condensor if she get cool ac then condensor is capable so you need to look at that fan speed.

merlin2021

July, 15, 2008 AT 5:25 PM

It may have clogged radiator and condenser fins, try useing compressed air and an air wand to blow out the dirt, put the wand in the middle between radiator and condenser, blow in towards the radiator, then out at the condenser, AIRFLOW is very important, Doc has it right!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Wand_1.jpg

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement