1988 BMW 528 WONT START ON A HOT DAY AFTER A FEW MILES AND

• fj0094
  • 1988 BMW 528

1988 BMW 528 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 195000 miles

my 528e BMW 1988 runs fairly well but on a hot day driving for a few miles park when comes back it will not start right away. Thanks for your help
Frank

Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 2:46 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

Frank, what has been done so far? It helps me when I dont have to reinvent the wheel.

Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 10:32 PM
  • fj0094

DR I Just open the Hood which is also Verry Hot and wait a like 15 to 20 minutes do nothing then turn the key and the car just start

Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 5:11 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

OK, what I am asking is for you to tell me what has been done to the car to solve this issue? Maybe a valve adjustment is needed? Or some other maintenance item that has been neglected. Is the car in good condition, mechanically speaking? The hot start issue can be from many things, I need to try and get to the core issue and if the vehicle is in need of regular maintenance there might be some simple response, or not. Help me to help you.

Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 10:27 AM
  • fj0094

OK I got you now there is nothing done for a while just regular oil change and an altinator change about 2 years ago and battery cables change mid 2009 to correct the same problem but that didnt do it.
Thanks Frank

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 4:35 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Well there you go, follow the maintenance schedule and check the basic stuff, valve adjustment, plugs, clean throttle plate and so on.

Wednesday, May 5th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
  • fj0094

Should I change the thermostat also reason for asking it is verry verry hot Under the hood and also on the outside o f the hood? My temp gage is not working at the moment.

Thursday, May 6th, 2010 AT 4:43 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

If it is old, change it and the coolant too!

Thursday, May 6th, 2010 AT 11:14 PM