Blower Motor Stuck ON, while car is off.

LIZARDKINGED
  • 1996 OLDSMOBILE 98
  • 122 MILES
I'm positive this is a bad Relay as it wont turn off when the car is off. Trouble is that the terminal is not underhood where it is supposed to be. I'm concerned it's non existent but unsure of how it's even possible.

On another similar question, (http://www.2carpros.com/questions/oldsmobile-98-1996-oldsmobile-98-ac-fan-wont-turn-off-at-all) there is confusion between Relay 1 and Relay 3... all diagrams (for the d88 (didnt find a 98 on there and they're literally almost the same) say that this Relay should be in position 3 (which I dont have) But it also states it might be the AC condenser Fan... which is located in position 10 in the Oldsmobile.

I have heat, I have a blower, Blower wont turn off. I'm just stuck here. Thanks

Matthew.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 5:40 AM

LIZARDKINGED
Just started Sunday morning.

I will, but I would prefer to not chase all these down as it's 10 degrees outside and I cant keep dis/reconnecting the negative terminal to drive.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 5:44 AM
LIZARDKINGED
Also, I just pulled the AC Maxi for the time being and it cut the blower fan out. Should I just get the AC-compressor fan relay and swap it out?

Thanks, Matthew.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 5:58 AM
CADIEMAN
It should be a bad blower motor resistor module unplug the power wire to the blower motor. The wire is a foot or so long. Follow it to the module. It's bolted in the top of the ac case with 3 7mm screws. It's mounted in the a/c case so it stays cool. It has 2 wire connectors going to it 1 goes from the blower motor to the resister and the other 1 comes from the harness. Replace it.
+1
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 6:41 AM
LIZARDKINGED
Followed the wires, the 4 come out of the cable housing, and all four lead to a stand-alone mount with a few bolts on it, a Molex clip on one, and what looks like could be a relay stuffed into the mount.

Do I have a Bingo in here? LOL

Also do you know where the CCR Relay under the front drivers seat carpet is? Is that a PITA? Should I just get it over with and loosen the front and pull the back bolts and tilt it? Suggestions appreciated.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 6:52 AM
CADIEMAN
There is no relay it's mounted inside the a/c case. U tube it u will bet a better pic on what u have to do.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 7:11 AM
LIZARDKINGED
Already did.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 7:14 AM
LIZARDKINGED
I've found the unit, there are two types offered at my stores I shop at. Just the resister for between 20-40 bucks, and then the whole entire unit. I'd prefer to buy just the unit which looks like metal coils and install it. I assume that I wont have to replace the whole resistor block, but just the metal coils?
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 7:16 AM
CADIEMAN
U need the 1 that is black plastic where it mounts and it has a square metal piece with fins on it that goes down inside the case. If the speeds all work u don't need the coil part.
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 7:36 AM
LIZARDKINGED
Ok cool, Thanks so much. It's on at a pretty high rate so I think I'll just pull the fuse when I'm not driving it and put it in when the car warms up till the unit "dies" or until I get a moment to try to clean it up and see if I can get a few more (6) years out of it.
-1
Monday, January 26th, 2015 AT 7:56 AM
CADIEMAN
U need to replace blower motor resistor module now. Because if u wait u will have to replace the blower motor and the module motor around $50 module$90
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 11:49 AM
LIZARDKINGED
I can probably open it up and clean the unit up and see if it works, no harm no foul, still in the same position till the new one arrives. Just busy this week, probably wait till next week, or the week after. Paper delivery vehicle.

Until then, It wont hurt to pull the AC maxi when I'm not using the heat or when I'm not driving. I drive 50-70mi per day, bike the rest. Engine's rebuilt, not running dex, everything's fine now.

I'm not claiming I will run it that way for 6 more years. I'll probably pop my first Maxi and pull the unit out and clean it up and give it a shot until the new one arrives from whatever warehouse.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 1:21 PM
LIZARDKINGED
Also, I did ask if I only need the 30-40 dollar resistor module, or do I need the whole 80-170 unit.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 1:25 PM
LIZARDKINGED
Hey lucky me. It's kicked back on so I'm assuming for now its just some dirty terminals OR internals, So I'm just going to open that sucker up this weekend and clean it up with some electronics cleaner.
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 AT 11:48 AM
CADIEMAN
Sounds good
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 AT 2:03 PM