Blower Motor

DONGIBSON
  • 2006 KIA SPORTAGE
Removed blower motor and it tested good. Checked the following and found no power at blower motor or resister. Pulled dash and there is power at the fan switch.
Fuses checked and are good. Concerning the relays, I was not 100% sure which one, if any to check so I just switched them around with others of the same value. Did not seem to effect anything.

Where do I go from here? Any other fuses or relays to check? Does the fact that there is power at the switch and not at the resistor suggest it is the fan control/switch that is the problem or a short between switch and resistor? I am assuming that power goes from switch right to the resistor or maybe not?

Monday, October 24th, 2016 AT 7:20 PM

AL514
The blower motor is controlled by the HVAC control unit grounding the motor, you should have power on the red/white wire coming to the blower motor with the ignition switch in the on/run position all the time. Considering you say there is no power there, the two fuses to check are on this wiring diagram. First one is the air conditioner 10 amp fuse in the panel under the dash on the left end, the other fuse is the Blower Fusible Link 40 amp located in the E/R Junction block in the left front corner of the engine compartment, both of these fuses send power to the blower relay. You can see all this in the diagram. Once you get power to the blower motor you can ground the other side of it (yellow wire at the blower motor plug to make sure the motor itself runs).
I believe the resistor in this case only limits the current flow on the ground circuit, not voltage. But has the same effect, slowing or speeding up the fan motor. But the power on that Red/White wire is the concern at this point.

But also if one of these two fuse's is blown, you are going to want to figure out why it popped to begin with.
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 12:41 AM
DONGIBSON
Thanks for the responses. I ran a wire from the battery to the blower in order to get heat until I figure out the problem. I checked the 40 amp in the engine compartment as well as the AC fuse and both are working. Do I have a short?
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:03 PM
AL514
So you have no power going to the blower on the Red/White wire at the blower motor? Did you have to run a ground wire to the blower motor also or did you just run power to it and used the controls inside the car?
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:18 PM
DONGIBSON
Correct, no power at the connection. I ran my own wire from battery to the blower and grounded the other pin. The blower works. The fan control does not.
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:23 PM
DONGIBSON
Could it be the resister?
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:26 PM
AL514
Well the control unit uses the ground side of the blower motor to control it, so you may want to run power to it but keep the harness plugged into it, this will rule out the control unit, and it will just be a power supply that you have to deal with. The resistor is on the ground side of the circuit according to the wiring diagram. As you can see in this diagram if you have no power at that harness plug for the motor with the key on, then that's the issue, it should be coming straight from the relay. Try what I mentioned above, keep it plugged in and run power to that Red/White wire by back probing the connector and see if it will come on. The relay may have a bad ground or the power wire coming in could be open somewhere.

Is this Red/White wire running to the resistor?

It should only go straight to the relay according to the book, I am hoping this wiring diagram is not wrong.

It seems if you have no power on that wire, that's the issue and the control unit should be okay. Running power to it from the battery was a good way to check it.
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:32 PM
DONGIBSON
I am not sure if the red/white wire runs to the resistor. I will check and update. I was thinking that the power goes through the resister and on to the blower, but I guess I was wrong about that. Can you explain what you mean by back probe the connector? I am confused by that term.
+1
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:50 PM
DONGIBSON
Oh, and when you say the power goes from the relay to the blower. What relay are you referring to? The 40 amp fuse?
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:51 PM
DONGIBSON
40 amp under the hood?
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:52 PM
DONGIBSON
I will update you tomorrow. It is too dark to see what I am doing. Thank you very much!
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 5:52 PM
AL514
There is a relay located near the blower motor itself, under the dash on the same side, as for back probing the connector, leave the blower plugged in and stick a pin into the back of the connector where the red/white wire goes in so you are feeding power to that wire instead of it coming from the relay. This way the control unit can still do its job but the blower motor is just getting power from a different source. Then you will know it is just a power issue and there is nothing wrong with the ground circuits. I only say to do this since you already have a power wire running to it from the battery.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 6:08 PM
DONGIBSON
Oh! So you are saying to keep it plugged in but also attach the wire I ran? I never checked a relay near the blower. I will do that tomorrow and update. Thanks again.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 6:16 PM
AL514
Check the relay near the blower motor first, that is most likely the problem.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 6:18 PM
DONGIBSON
I just took a flashlight out. I cannot see anything that looks like a relay. It is possible I am looking at it but do not recognize it. Any idea what it might look like?
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 6:26 PM
DONGIBSON
I think I might have found it.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 6:28 PM
AL514
If you can find one that has the same part number on it and its not a super important relay, you can swap it out temporarily and with the key in the on/run position try the blower.
Tuesday, October 25th, 2016 AT 6:31 PM
DONGIBSON
I went into the back of the connection like you suggested and now I have my controls again! I ordered the relay as well. Thank you very much for helping me out!
Thursday, October 27th, 2016 AT 5:53 PM
KEN
No Problem AL514 is one of our best!

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help and tell a friend.

Best, Ken
Thursday, October 27th, 2016 AT 10:46 PM
AL514
No problem, hopefully the relay is the only issue, sounds like it is.
Friday, October 28th, 2016 AT 10:54 AM