Possible bad CV axles

JGONZO2398
  • 2002 FORD TAURUS
I recently noticed a clicking/clunk sound when turning my steering wheel left. It is very clear, and I am pretty sure it is the CV axles. However, I am looking online for the pair of these, and there is two different sets of them. One is for the AX4N automatic transmission, the other pair I am guessing is for the 4F50N automatic transmission. I believe I have the 4F50N transmission in my car, but the CV axle pair for that type of transmission does not look like the stock CV axles on my car. One of them seems to have a bushing on one end instead of just rubber boots on each end. I took screenshots of both CV axles pairs that I found on 1A Auto, and I also took video of both the axles on my vehicle. All images are posted below.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 12:33 PM

JGONZO2398
Video.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 12:37 PM
JGONZO2398
Video
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 12:39 PM
JGONZO2398
Any guesses?
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 12:40 PM
JGONZO2398
Correction; I just went under my car and cleaned the transmission pan, I have the AX4N metric.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 1:37 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Good afternoon.

Are you looking to replace both axles? I see the pictures you sent and I am wondering what or where you see a problem?

Found these at rockauto.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,taurus,3.0l+v6+ohv,1385771,drivetrain,cv+half+shaft+assembly,2288

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-cv-axle
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 3:23 PM
STEVE W.
Clicking while turning is a good symptom of a bad outer CV joint. The AX4N and 4F50N are the same basic transmission, just a new name for the newer cars and the 4F50N has a couple extra sensors. The item you see on those is the ABS tone ring. You do not appear to have that on your car, as the sensors and tone rings are not in your videos.
I did not see the normal cracked boot or damage on the boots that causes the grease to escape and destroy the inner bearings but it may have been hidden.

This shows the process on a similar vehicle, you just do not have the intermediate bearings.

Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 3:24 PM
JGONZO2398
ASEMASTER, yes I am looking to replace both CV axles. I found a pair on Amazon with solid reviews for $80.00. I will be going with that. As far as seeing anything wrong with them, I cannot really notice much, but there is a clear clicking noise whenever I turn the steering wheel to the left so it has to be these.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 3:32 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Yep, that is a good indication of a failing CV joint. If one is failing the other will be close behind.

Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 3:44 PM
JGONZO2398
Yup, so I will be replacing both and I have a new set of ball joints that I will be replacing as well, would not hurt.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 3:46 PM
Hi fans. Please excuse the intrusion, but I never saw any mention that the car was moving when the clicking was heard. If this occurs when the car is standing still, the upper strut mounts would be the logical suspect, especially at the relatively low mileage listed.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 7:56 PM
JGONZO2398
No, the noise is only heard when I am moving and turning the steering wheel. I moved the steering wheel left and right while idle, and there was no noise.
-1
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 8:03 PM
Dandy. Potential misdiagnosis averted, so I will go back to my corner.
Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 AT 8:19 PM
JGONZO2398
So, I received both axles and will be getting them replaced tomorrow, but I have been having some afterthoughts after reading into more blogs and forums on similar symptoms. The clunk noise I hear when turning the steering wheel, can it also be the power steering pump going out, or maybe the tie rods? I had the tie rods replaced last year and after inspecting them a few days ago, everything looks good. I will be replacing the ball joints with a new pair of Moog ball joints I have had for a while since the rubber boots on my currents have small rips on them. Give me your thoughts, I would appreciate it!
Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 AT 8:20 PM
JGONZO2398
I also forgot to mention that I have that same clunking noise when going over speed bumps and hitting small ditches, steering wheel turned or not. Is this still an indication of bad axles, or could it be the sway bars, tie rods, ball joints, etc? I would like to mention that I had brand new shocks and struts, front control arms, and rear stabilizer links installed months ago, so I feel like I can rule those out.
Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 AT 8:24 PM
JGONZO2398
The clunk noise only sounds on the drivers side, in the front, exact same spot where the clunk noise comes from when I turn the steering wheel to the left.
Tuesday, June 26th, 2018 AT 8:25 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, the power steering pump will not cause the noise at all.

The knock over bumps could be from a strut mount. Common failure. I would consider replacing the struts with quick struts that are complete.

Clunking from steering is possible but all steering linkage needs to be checked to verify.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2002,taurus,3.0l+v6+dohc,1385760,suspension,strut+/+coil+spring+/+mount+assembly,15174
Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 AT 4:21 AM
M_H_RITZEL
Get the car on a lift and bring it up about six inches, use a breaker bar or long bar and put it under tire, lift the bar and see if there is any noise when you move the tire up and down. If no noise raise the car up so the tire is chest high and move it back and forth, see if you hear any clunking.
Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 AT 6:16 AM
JGONZO2398
ASEMASTER, I had all four shocks and struts replaced a few months ago, the complete sets. Do you really think it would be that?
Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 AT 6:29 AM
JGONZO2398
I will try to check that thanks!
Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 AT 6:30 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Did they replace the upper strut mounts?

Wednesday, June 27th, 2018 AT 6:32 AM