Back up light diagram

JR9261018
  • 2006 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
Can anyone give me electrical diagram for the backup light?

Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 AT 6:59 AM

STEVE W.
There are a couple for this because of the way the system works. The reverse light switch grounds the circuit into the TIPM (smart fuse block) which uses an internal relay to turn on the reverse lights.
To test which side of the system the problem is on requires you to access the connectors on the TIPM Specifically pin 8 in connector 5 and pin 11 in connector 8. With those two pins you can test if the problem is in the switch side, the TIPM itself or in the light side of the system. All you need is a simple fused jumper wire a test light and turning on the key.

If you apply a ground to pin 8 in C5 and the lights come on the problem is in the switch or its wiring. Then you go to the switch and apply ground to pin B on it. If the lights come on there the wiring from the switch to the TIPM is good. Apply ground to pin A and shift into reverse. If the lights come on now the issue is in the ground path from the switch to chassis. If they do not come on the issue is the switch itself.

On the power/light side you shift into reverse and check that there is power at pin 11 in C8. If there is power there but the lights are not on you connect the fused jumper wire to power and test your way down to the back up lights.
Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 AT 9:14 AM
JR9261018
Okay, does the TIPM get signal from the transmission range sensor to turn on the back up light?
Tuesday, November 20th, 2018 AT 5:28 PM
STEVE W.
Yes, uses the same ground feed to activate the lights.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2018 AT 7:42 AM
JR9261018
Sorry, I am confused. So if the backup light wont turn on when put gear in reverse so the problem could be TRS or Tipm. I have intermittent problem when I turn key to run position engine off. You will see what is in the video and the backup lights will not turn on. However, the car starts and runs but goes in limp mode. Parts replaced because of the same problem PCM and TIPM.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2018 AT 8:56 AM
STEVE W.
Were these new parts that were programmed to your vehicle or used ones? What codes do you have in the system now? Intermittent issues on Chrysler products commonly turn out to be bad grounds or connectors. If you can get the codes we can start from there.
Yes the TIPM in a Chrysler controls 99.9& of the electronics in the car. (There are ways to bypass some of them by adding relays outside the box, but in your case we need to figure out what is causing it to limp mode first.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2018 AT 12:14 PM
JR9261018
P0882 the PCM for certain reason does not send voltage to control transmission relay. Also, I know when the car will not shift by turning key to run position engine off if I see what is in the video I will know the car will go to limp mode also the gear on dash board all of them get selected or disappear. Also no back up light and I do not hear the fuel pump prime like I said all this is intermittent.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2018 AT 6:07 PM
STEVE W.
From that I would bet you have a bad ground or connector. Could you make a list of the things that do not work when you are seeing the problem? The more items the easier it would be to track to a common point. Plus it would narrow down the wiring diagrams needed.
Wednesday, November 21st, 2018 AT 7:24 PM
JR9261018
All this happens key on run position engine off
- I do not hear fuel pump priming.
- Temperature gauge in the dash stays in cold position even if the engine is hot.
- All gears disappear on the dash or all of them got selected.
- No back up light.
- Battery light and airbag light stays on.
- Anti theft light flashes.
- No communication with PCM
when start engine.
- Of course fuel pump works.
- Temperature gauge works.
- Battery, airbag, anti theft turn off.
- Restore communication with PCM.
- Transmission goes to limp mode with p0882 code and shifts hard when put it from park to drive or park to reverse.

Thank you
Thursday, November 22nd, 2018 AT 7:46 AM
JR9261018
Sorry, I forgot it gets worse in summer time. Also just in summer I got code p0218 transmission overheat. I checked the temperature at transmission pan it was not overheating. The code was present before I replace the PCM.
Friday, November 23rd, 2018 AT 9:09 AM
STEVE W.
The P0882 = Low input power - The transmission control relay supplies power to the solenoid pack when the transmission is in normal operating mode. When the relay is off, no power is supplied to the solenoid pack and the transmission is in Limp-in mode. The relay output voltage is fed back to the PCM. It is the Transmission Control Relay Output circuit. After a controller reset (ignition key turned to the run position or after cranking engine), the controller energizes the relay. Prior to this the PCM verifies that the contacts are open by checking for no voltage at the switched battery terminals. After the relay is energized, the PCM monitors the terminals to verify that the voltage is greater than 3 volts. No voltage or less than 3 volts and it sets the code.
The "common" cause is the relay in the TIPM failing. If you used a new TIPM this should not be the issue.
Next would be a failed/failing ground wire for the PCM. Ground 104 (located at the front of the right hand fender) has all four of the grounds for the PCM in it. This is also the ground reference it uses for the transmission temperature sensor and to turn on the reverse lights. If it is corroded or loose you could get all of your issues from that connection.
Friday, November 23rd, 2018 AT 12:52 PM
JR9261018
I measured voltage drop of that ground between the PCM and the battery negative it was 60mv. Am I missing anything? Or do I need to do other measurements? The other thing I read an article about p0218 code transmission over temperature. I read that in certain cars the PCM puts transmission in limp mode when transmission temperature is high it the case in my car. Also my code reader does not shows up the transmission temperature, so is there a chart I can use?
Friday, November 23rd, 2018 AT 4:29 PM
STEVE W.
P0218 will put most Chrysler products in limp mode. Did you measure all of the grounds individually? There are multiple wires that ground there, the wires like to corrode inside the crimps, the ring can be good but the actual wire will be bad. If you want to make it easy you can use a piercing probe and check them that way. Just apply a bit of electrical tape to the puncture.
No chart for the temperatures. You could try an IR temperature gun on a dull spot on the pan to get a rough idea.
Friday, November 23rd, 2018 AT 5:29 PM
JR9261018
I measured only between computer and battery negative I back probed all the computer grounds and measured the difference between battery negative and those computers grounds. Also, now there is no p0218 code only happens summer time at that time I measured the transmission temperature with IR and was not more than 240 degrees. So either it is bad sensor or wiring.
Friday, November 23rd, 2018 AT 6:01 PM
STEVE W.
Look at any areas the harness gets near a sharp corner or stretches. If you Google gearsmagazine and P0882, they have an interesting bypass technique using a relay to bypass the TIPM and its wiring. I have used similar methods to bypass relays in the TIPM for the fuel pump and other items.
Friday, November 23rd, 2018 AT 9:23 PM
JR9261018
I will check the four grounds.What about the transmission range sensor? because the car acting up when only is hot aka summer or after i drive it and turn it off could it be a shorted TRS when it get hot.
http://bestride.com/engine-trouble-codes/P0218
What I think is the computer when see over temperature transmission (which is not I checked it with infrared gun) it will not send voltage to the solenoid pack and put it in limp mode.The temperature sensor is included with the TRS also what about all gears in the dash board P N R D get selected? I do not know it is just a thought.
Saturday, November 24th, 2018 AT 1:11 PM
STEVE W.
Usually temperature issues are in other forms of sensors, the range sensor is actually a series of switch leaves with finger contacts. Very doubtful it has an internal issue that is temperature related as it lives in the pan with hot fluid. There have been issues right at the TRS connector at the trans case though. The pins get corroded and cause problems. You might check that and be sure they are good.
Monday, November 26th, 2018 AT 7:22 AM
JR9261018
I checked the ground that you told me to check the one a the right fender there are five of them one of them was see pictures (I remember I damaged it when I replaced the timing belt). I repaired it by soldering another piece of wire.

The transmission temperature sensor is included with TRS. So my question is, if you do not mind why when the problem occurs all gears in the dash are selected? It is like the TCM and the dashboard do not know which gear the car is in. Also no communication with PCM

I removed all TRS connector pins and tighten them also

Also could be the alternator when it get hot?

Sorry many questions.
Monday, November 26th, 2018 AT 8:56 AM
STEVE W.
Unless the alternator is suddenly putting out very high voltage I doubt it's the problem.
As for the temperature sensor or TRS being heat issues, they both live inside the transmission in the hot fluid. A hot day is not going to do much to them inside.
However, the connectors and wires are suspect as heat could cause issues if there is a bad connection or faulty contact.
I would verify that all of those grounds have continuity. It would be easy for one inside the crimp to corrode.
Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 AT 2:32 PM
JR9261018
I replaced one of the ground. See pictures and I will check those ground again. Is the PT Cruiser has a ESM like in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd71kNuO2aU&t=773s
Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 AT 4:15 PM
STEVE W.
No, yours uses the range sensor in the transmission to control the solenoid packs in the transmission through the PCM. It works in almost the same way but is internal instead of easy to get at.
Tuesday, November 27th, 2018 AT 10:22 PM