From what you say, it looks like the dealer does not really know what the problem is, and is trying various options while costing you money and patience. I know the feeling - I had a problem with my 2002 A6 climate control not cooling and had to solve the problem myself. If you don't mind rolling up the sleeves, here's what I suggest you do:
1) Download VAG-COM software for free
2) Download VAG COM instruction manual also
3) Buy an OBD2 cable on ebay - here's a current suitable one on ebay. Com
4) You will need a laptop computer
5) Load the VAG COM software and the OBD2 cable driver software on the laptop
6) The OBD2 cable plugs into a socket usually located on the dashboard between the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal. Sometines this socket is located between the two front seats, but in your case the former should apply.
7) The VAG COM softwasre is a diagnostic software that communicates with the different systems in your car - the air conditioning system being one of them.
8) When you plug in the cable and run VAG COM software, you can select the HVAC (air conditioning) system and select fault codes. The list of fault codes will tell you exactly what is wrong with your air conditioning system - the only downside here is that until you register the VAG COM software (i.E. Pay for it), you can see the number of faults that you may have, but VAG COM will only give you details of the first fault.
You may find all of this just too way too much to take on - an alternative is to put out a general question on this forum or perhaps Audiforum. Com to see if there is anyone living near you who has VAG COM software and will check your car for you - folks are usually quite obliging about this sort of thing.
The important thing is that because Audi air con systems are so over engineered and complicated, you need to be able to home in on the problem using diagnostic software, otherwise you will spend a whole lot of money trying to get the dealer to fix it for you with no guarantee that it will ever be fixed.
I hope that this doesn't put you off - as I said, I went through a learning process myself, having no knowledge of air con systems at all, and I know that if I didn't do something myself, I dont believe that the problem would ever be fixed.
If I can do it, anyone can.
Friday, June 15th, 2007 AT 12:27 PM