1995 AUDI A6 AUDI A6 STARTS AND DIES

• audia6driver
  • 1995 Audi A6

1995 Audi A6 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 172000 miles

1995 Audi A6; 2.8l, v6; 170,000 miles. Had fuel pump replaced about 3,000 miles ago. Has been running great. Today, while driving, the engine skipped, dropped RPM, acted like it wanted to stall. I nursed it about 1.5 miles home, while it kept dropping rpm and coming back. It would start and run smoothly at 3000 rpm. But exhaust is white and gassy smelling. I added fuel treatment to fuel. Replaced three of six spark plugs. It ran, died, and now doesn't want to start. Plenty of fuel pressure going into fuel filter. I have a new fuel filter but have not replaced. LOts of hissing noises in engine compartment. Vacuum tubes look old and frayed. QUESTION: How do I bleed fuel lines after replacing filter? Why is the engine not running? Oh, I should specify that the "CHECK ENGINE" light has been on and off for years, running fine; now, when it comes on, the engine wants to die.

Monday, May 17th, 2010 AT 8:56 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

You do not have to bleed the fuel system, petrol systems self bleed, I would get any suspect engine vacuum hoses replaced and go get a diagnostic scan done to read these unresolved fault codes, there will be a problem with the engine management system somewhere, as when the engine runs poorly the check light is on, this is indicating that there is a system out of parameter and this is causing your problems.

Tuesday, May 25th, 2010 AT 8:54 PM