STARTING PROBLEMS - 1.9TDI 130BHP

1913 Audi A4

iedca1

July, 1, 2007 AT 1:35 PM

I've recently been having some problems starting my car. I serviced the car only 2 months ago (air filter and fuel filters were not changed though) but a couple of weeks ago the problem started. The car turns over but has trouble " catching" sometimes. Once it starts there's not a problem with it. Sometimes it starts no problem and other times I have to keep the key turned for ages before it will " catch" and start. A mechanic had a very quick look at it on Friday - he hooked up the computer to it but it wasn't showing any problems. He was busy so he just shrugged his shoulders and sent me on my way.
Could it need a new fuel or air filter or what do you think is causing the problem? I did add some fuel treatment a couple of weeks back so that's why I wondering if it could be the fuel filter.

bhejafry

Hi, I have a 1997 Audi A4, petrol 1.8. I am having the same trouble. The mechanic found no fault and changed the ignition oil. However the problem persists. He has asked me to 'blast the engine' at least once a week. This seems to solve the problem. But I would really love to know a better (and more appropriate) solution : (

highlander1

February, 5, 2008 AT 4:43 PM

Hi is the problem when the engine is cold or hot or both?Could possibly be the heater plugs, there could also be a fault in the air flow meter they can go faulty and not show a code (i had this with my own car about a year ago). The other thing is the temp sensor for the coolant when these go faulty it can send wrong signals to the ECU and will show a fault code, This code can be found in the instrumet panel
get a full diagnostic check carried out on all systems available

good luck and hope this helps
highlander1

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement