ENGINE FAILURE - SEIZED UP AFTER OIL LEAK

2002 Audi A4

brucecary

June, 19, 2009 AT 11:30 AM

2002 Audi A4 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi,

Recently, I backed up over a curb, and caused the oil to leak out of my car. I drove a 1/2 mile and the engine siezed up. There was a trail of oil, and a torn up engine shield and a dislodged oil filter.

My question has 2 parts.

Can the engine be repaired after seizing up and being declared " ruined"? If the engine must be replaced, can you recommend a good repair shop in the Philadelphia metro area that will use salvage yard engines?

Can backing over a curb cause engine oil to leak out? Knock out an oil filter? And if the oil leaks out, how far can an Audi A 4 be driven, normally, before the engine fails?

Oil Leak From Engine

mhpautos

June, 19, 2009 AT 11:21 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

When an engine is staved of oil the damage caused can be catastrophic to say the least, if you are lucky and stop the engine before all the oil is lost there is some hope of re building the engine, but if the engine seizes due to no oil you are normally wasting money trying to do anything with it, you are far better served getting a new or re-co engine fitted.
As for how long you can drive with no oil, well under normal driving conditions and if you don't hear the knocking of the bearings or see the low oil pressure warning, I would give you only a few minuets at best before its all to late, as for a recommended repairer, sorry but I live in Australia so I can't help you there.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front