ENGINE OVER HEATING

1997 Audi A4

shazsaan

March, 7, 2009 AT 7:20 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Audi A4 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

hi I have audi A4 1.6
car engine is over heating
machanic has changed the thermostat
know he is telling me to change the timing belt and the waterpump because the waterpump located unde the timing belt.I am realy shocked because my car has just pass the nct last month and hasnt been driving much from then

vladgeiser

March, 12, 2009 AT 1:43 PM

Water pumps generally fail in three ways, they leak, they seize, and they fall apart.

Leaking is easy, you will loose coolant, as your pump is next to the timing belt there will be a burning smell, though most importantly it will leak and you will loose coolant.

Seizing is easy to spot as it generally damages things around it, belts, hoses, loud nasty squealing sounds, this is seizing.

By falling apart I mean internally, such as the impeller falling off the drive shaft, or bearing giving out and causing grinding and leaking.

If your pump isn't doing one of these things I would get a second opinion on what should be done as there are so many things in a cooling system that can cause over heating, thermostat, radiator cap, bad hoses, head gasket, water pump, and on and on.

Engine Class - Autoshop 101
Air Filter Replacement Subaru Legacy
Air Filter Replacement Volkswagen Jetta
Air Filter Replacement