ENGINE STALL

1972 AMC Javelin

Javelinman

June, 28, 2010 AT 12:23 PM

1972 AMC Javelin V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 132000 miles

car starts fine- runs well at high rpm's. When it comes back down to idle it will sometimes idle well- but most times it stalls. If you step on gas to stop from stalling- it makes a noise up thru the carb-like sucking air. I have only driven this car in town since I've had it, {2 yrs.}But this was the first time I had it on the open road and cracked the throttle a bit! Would it be timing? Not plugs or coil or carb because they're not intermittent{are they?}Not fuel system otherwise would not run @ high speeds, Somebody help a brother out here! Thanks, Warren

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 28, 2010 AT 2:23 PM

Hi Javelinman, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Lets start by checking and adjusting the choke plate opening and the fast idle cam adjustment also test the PCV valve and then get back with some results asap.

Javelinman

June, 28, 2010 AT 5:10 PM

Have manual choke- it sits in open position when warm- fast idle has been disengaged. PCV valve looks okay- I can blow thru it- is that good? Its a 10$ item but not in stock-

June, 28, 2010 AT 6:53 PM

It wiil pass air one way and resist on the other end, also if you shake it should rattle-if not replace it.

Also check if the exhaust manifold heat control valve is opening

Javelinman

June, 29, 2010 AT 10:43 AM

Hey, checked pcv valve- its okay- but I don't know where to find exhaust valve - also temp. Gauge is reading off the charts now!I looked in TSM for location of valve, but it said on intake, near back - pass. Or drivers side?

June, 29, 2010 AT 1:50 PM

The heat riser valve is located between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe-also test the engne temperature sending unt

Check if it has an EGR valve-they started coming out in 1973 if so try cleaning out and see what happens-all these are okay -sounds like a carb problem