92 CIVIC RATTLES IN LOW GEARS AND REVERSE

• snowhobo
  • 1992 All Other Makes All Other Models

My 1992 Civic DX has 125,000 miles. Lately it has been producing a rattling noise, most noticalbly in low gears and in reverse. The sound seems to come from the lower engine compartment. There's a metal box near the undercarriage which seems to create or amplify the noise. Any suggestions?

Thursday, June 8th, 2006 AT 10:30 AM

• Bruce Hunt

What is the metal box? Have you had any exhaust work done lately? OR need some done? Sure it is not any of the heat shields on the exhaust?

Tuesday, June 20th, 2006 AT 7:46 AM
  • snowhobo

Recently, the exhaust was replaced from front to back. I have found out that my radiator is on the verge of needing replacement. Could that be it?

Tuesday, June 20th, 2006 AT 2:30 PM
  • Bruce Hunt

I doubt that. I suspect that the exhaust heat shield is vibrating. Especially given the new exhaust sytem. They are sensitive and will vibrate at low speeds or idle. Put the car up on ramps and with it running, inspect the exhaust system.

Tuesday, June 20th, 2006 AT 3:35 PM