89 Ranger 2.3L Running bad in the cold weather

KEEZYMAN
  • 1989 ALL OTHER MAKES ALL OTHER MODELS
I have an 89 Ranger, 2.3L 5-Speed. Been having a problem with the truck during really cold weather, lately it's been in the 20's. First off it takes a little while to warm up the truck enough to move it, probably 5-10 mins before I can safely pull out on the road. It's sputters alot and emits alot of smoke, and once it warms up the smoke stops. The other problem is when i'm on the highway, I can get the truck up to 75mph, but that's in 4th gear, with the engine almost screaming at me, but once I put it in 5th gear, I can barely keep the truck maintaining speed, and if I go up a slight incline in the road, I will slow down, with my foot on the floor. I have to shift back to 4th just to keep up with traffic. Strange thing is this, it's now in the upper 40's this week and the truck is running much better, no sputtering and smoking like when it's really cold out, and 5th gear at least maintains speed and even ever so slighty speeds up the truck. Please give me some suggestions for this problem, I've already changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, and fuel pump (old one was shooting fuel through a rotted hole in one of the lines), gonna change the wires this weekend, and i've tested the ignition coils with an ohm meter and they test good. Ty in advance for ANY help at all.
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 7:27 PM

KIN CHAN
Heeeee hawwwww. Yup yup
well well well. Looks like we've got a sensitive temperament car. Have a mechanic with a scanner which can read ur coolant and intake air temp sensor. Specially ur intake air temp sensor. Ur ecm has to have the correct iat value for its calculated load to generate the correct base injector pulse width. Good luck man.
Wednesday, February 21st, 2007 AT 8:55 PM