1999 Acura TL Blower Motor

JACK DAVIDSON
  • 1999 ACURA TL
Air Conditioning problem
1999 Acura TL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 190k miles

Blower Motor doesn't work. I've replaced the wiring harness, blower motor relay, power resistor, and the contol unit. Still nothing. Blower runs on high if you jump ground wire at motor to body. I've worked my way through the 5-page instructions from alldatadiy. Com down to the last two steps and everything checks out. The next to last step is check the continuity of the #2 socket of the blower motor relay and the body ground. If there is continuity repair the open in the wires between the relay and the blower motor. There isn't such a wire. There might be a wire to the power resistor, but not the blower motor. Does this mean there should NOT be continuity between the #2 socket of the relay and the body ground?
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 10:51 AM

DOCFIXIT
See diagram for 2P connector at motor is this how you ground and motor runs? if yes then check term #5 at 5P connector at power transistor and ground is there contiuity?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Grafic_3_4.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_29.jpg

Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 11:23 AM
JACK DAVIDSON
Yes. When I jump wire-side blue/red term from the 2p connector of the blower motor it runs at top speed. Are you saying there is an open(bad) connection between the 5p and the motor?
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 11:49 AM
DOCFIXIT
Was there contiuity? If no then check #5 wire to ground not motor. Did you run self diagnostic?
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 11:57 AM
JACK DAVIDSON
Yes, there is continuity. Between #2 term of relay (4P) and body ground I'm at step 26: "Check for continuity between the No. 2 terminal of the blower motor relay 4P socket and body ground. Is there continuity? YES - Repair open in the wire between the blower motor relay and the blower motor. NO - Check for an open in the wire between the blower motor relay and body ground. If the wire is OK, check for poor ground at G202." At the "YES" repair what "wire between the blower motor relay and the blower motor."? On the electrical diagrams I only see one wire between the 4P and the Blower Motor; the hot one. And that one is good because I have power at the motor?
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 12:33 PM
DOCFIXIT
Relay is good or you would not have power to motor.
Something is amiss in process of getting to step 26.
Go back to steps 13-16 retest

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_31.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Grafic_3_6.jpg

Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 12:55 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
K. I'LL GET BACK TO Y'ALL
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 2:39 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
Is there any way to test the resistor?
Wednesday, August 5th, 2009 AT 4:08 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
I didn't see an answer, but our firewall stops stuff sometimes.

Is there any way to test the blower motor power resistor itself?

I also made a (or tried to make) donation using my Robins Federal Credit Union Visa debit card but got a reject notice. When I tried to make it again the system refused because it said I already had one in the system.

I wanted to make a donation, but I don't want to make a bunch of them.
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 12:47 PM
DOCFIXIT
Check with ohm meter put one probe in #5 then check contiuity at 1=2=3=4 if there then it works. Also jumper between 4-5 key on motor run on high?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_35.jpg

Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 1:02 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
You said "Check with ohm meter put one probe in #5 then check contiuity at 1=2=3=4 if there then it works. "

Where's "2"?
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 1:17 PM
DOCFIXIT
Omit 2 not used on this model
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 1:24 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
Thnx. I'll get back w/ y'all after I do this. Who should I talk to about the donation problem I mentioned, if you know?
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 1:28 PM
DOCFIXIT
Get in touch with Mike at mike@2capros. Com
If all this checks out looks like controler is the problem
Thursday, August 6th, 2009 AT 2:26 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
I checked the blower motor resistor terminals for continuity: 5:1 was fine, 5:4 was fine, 5:3 was dead. Also when I jumpered 5:4 the blower motor ran flat out. This is a new resistor so I'm going to try to exchange it today. Is there a way to test the control unit also? It's new but I want to check it too.

Thnx for all the help. I've emailed Mike about the donation but haven't heard back yet.
Friday, August 7th, 2009 AT 6:52 AM
DOCFIXIT
My Bad will not get continuity on 5 to 3. Term 3 connects to base of transistor. If meter has diode checker go from Term 3 pos lead to term 5 neg lead should beep or show.5 to.6 vdc
Sunday, August 9th, 2009 AT 1:55 PM
JACK DAVIDSON
May have been your bad, but unit must have been bad anyway. When it tested dead on 5;3, I went ahead and bought new one @ Sutton Honda. They said that was a hot unit right now as in selling a lot of them. Installed new unit Fri PM and whole system came alive. Everything working GR8! Put it all back together and still going strong. Haven't heard from Mike but will try to make donation later today again.

Made me SuperDad again, so THNX!
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 6:41 AM
DOCFIXIT
That is great guess transistor blows in unit. Thanks for letting me know will store that in memory bank.
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 9:36 AM
JACK DAVIDSON
Thnx again. I'll be using Y'all in the future and recommending Y'all to any and all. Got the donation to work also. Y'all have a GR8! Day!
Monday, August 10th, 2009 AT 9:39 AM