Front brake pad and rotor replacement instructions please?

BCW19811
  • 2016 FORD F-150
I also hear an intermittent sound that comes from the front passenger side brakes so I need to do a brake job can you help me please? Thanks
Wednesday, October 23rd, 2019 AT 8:18 AM

BILLANDLINDE
  • 2013 FORD F-150
I want to do the brake please give me instruction on how to do so.
Tuesday, April 6th, 2021 AT 12:08 PM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. This is a tutorial showing what is involved on how to change front brake pads and brake rotors:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

I've attached picture steps below on how to change the front brake pads and rotors on your truck. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
JASON19
  • 2012 FORD F-150
I am living in the Houston, my truck got flooded and it was not a deep water, and it is working good. Drive it for forty miles sadly the brakes started to grind so I need new pads and rotors. Thanks
Hi,

Replacing front brakes and rotors really isn't too hard of a job. You can expect them to last approx 25K miles, but that varies based on driving habits and terrain.

To get started, here is a link that shows in general how it is done. You can use this as a guide.

Here is a video showing it done on a slightly older F-150. However, the process is very similar.

https://youtu.be/Iv9mWLv9QLM

If you look at the attached pics, they provide the directions and pics specific to your vehicle.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

Take care,

See pics below
BUCCSHILL93
  • 2011 FORD F-150
  • TURBO
When I am driving, the whole vehicle will vibrate when I brake. I think the rotors are bad can you help?
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. The vibration may be caused by warped rotors from fatigue, wear, or overheating. This is a tutorial showing what is involved on how to change front brake pads and brake rotors:

DANNYARMOND
  • 2011 FORD F-150
I had my transmission replaced and they said I need new front brakes as well, I need to save money now and want to do them myself can you help me?
Hi,

Replacing front brakes and rotors really isn't too hard of a job. You can expect them to last approximately 25,000 miles, but that varies based on driving habits and terrain.

https://youtu.be/Iv9mWLv9QLM

Take care,

See pics below
FMAN
  • 2007 FORD F-150
How do you change our brake pads and what kind should I use?
SEVAG PAESEGHIAN

the best quality brake pads are the original ones, part number for front rotors are 8L3Z1102A $298.33, for heavy payload rotors 8L3Z1102B 246. $5.00.
part number for front pads are 6L3z2001A $83.30.

check our guide below how to replace brake pads specific to your vehicle.

https://youtu.be/sUCflrTy-d4

Check our diagrams below how to replace front pads and rotors procedure, also specified permissible measurement values.

hope these helps.

thank you.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2007 FORD F-150
What would make my ford truck makes squeaking noise I think I need brakes.
Hi,

Front brake pads and rotors really aren't too hard to do. If you do it yourself, make sure to purchase lifetime parts so you'll never have to pay for the parts again.You can expect brake pads to last approximately 25,000 miles. However, that can change based on terrain and driving habits.

To start, here is a link that shows in general how it's done. You can use this as a guide:

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The pics below correlate with the directions.
Removal and Replacement Front
FRONT
Brake Pads

WARNING: Use of any other than approved DOT 3 motor vehicle brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

WARNING: Carefully read cautionary information on product label. For EMERGENCY MEDICAL INFORMATION seek medical advice. In the USA or Canada on Ford/Motorcraft products call: 1-800-959-3673. For additional information, consult the product Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) if available. Failure to follow these instructions may result in personal injury.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.

1. Check the brake fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
If necessary, remove fluid until the brake master cylinder reservoir is half full.

2. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.

3. CAUTION: Do not allow the caliper to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose can occur.

Remove the 2 brake caliper guide pin bolts and position the caliper aside.
Support the caliper using mechanic's wire.

4. Remove the brake pads and the 2 spring clips.

5. CAUTION: Install new brake pads if they are worn past the specified thickness, above the metal backing plate. Install the new brake pads in complete axle sets.

Inspect the brake pads for wear and contamination.

Installation

1. NOTE: One brake disc pad kit contains the pads required for both the RH and LH side.

Install the new spring clips and brake pads.

2. NOTE: Protect the pistons and boots when compressing the piston into its bore.

Using a suitable tool, compress the disc brake caliper pistons into the brake caliper bore.

3. NOTE: Tighten the lower caliper guide pin bolt first.

Position the brake caliper on the brake caliper anchor plate and install the 2 guide pin bolts.
Tighten to 74 Nm (55 ft. lbs.).

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2006 FORD F-150
We don't drive this truck everyday, it set most of the time but we hear the brakes grind so I need to do brake job can you help me please?
Hi,

Replacing front brake pads and rotors really isn't that difficult. When you do it yourself, make sure to get lifetime replacement parts so you never have to pay again.

You can expect front brakes to last approximately 25,000, but that will vary based on terrain and driving habits.

First, here is a link that shows in general how it's done. You can use this as a guide.

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

____________________________________________

2006 Ford Truck F 150 2WD Pickup V8-4.6L VIN W
Front
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Pad Service and Repair Procedures Front
FRONT
Brake Pads

pic 1

Removal

- If necessary, remove fluid until the brake master cylinder reservoir is half full.

NOTE: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang from the brake flexible hose. Support the brake caliper.

3. Remove the 2 brake caliper bolts and position the brake caliper aside.

CAUTION: Install new brake pads if they are worn past the specified thickness, above the metal backing plate. Install the new brake pads in complete axle sets.

5. Inspect the brake pads for wear and contamination.

Installation

NOTE: One brake disc pad kit contains the pads required for both the RH and LH side.

1. Install the new spring clips and brake pads.

NOTE: Protect the pistons and boots when compressing the piston into its bore.

2. Using a suitable tool, compress the disc brake caliper pistons into the brake caliper bore.

NOTE: Tighten the lower caliper bolt first.

3. Position the brake caliper on the brake caliper anchor plate and install the 2 bolts.
- Tighten to 74 Nm (55 lb-ft).

___________________________________________

Rotor Replacement

Disc Removal and Installation, Front
Vehicle Brakes and Traction Control Disc Brake System Brake Rotor/Disc Service and Repair Procedures Disc Removal and Installation, Front
DISC REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION, FRONT
Brake Disc

Removal

1. Remove the wheel and tire.

CAUTION: Do not allow the caliper and anchor plate assembly to hang from the brake hose or damage to the hose can occur.

2. Remove the 2 brake caliper anchor plate bolts and position the caliper and anchor plate assembly aside.
- Support the caliper and anchor plate assembly using mechanic's wire.
3. Remove and discard the cotter pin from the spindle nut retainer.
4. Remove the spindle nut retainer and the nut.
- Discard the spindle nut.
5. Remove the front brake disc from the spindle.

Installation

1. Position the brake disc on the spindle.

NOTE: Tighten the spindle nut to the specified torque. Rotate the disc counterclockwise 5 rotations and then recheck the torque.

2. Install a new spindle nut.
- Tighten to 400 Nm (295 lb-ft).
3. Install the spindle nut retainer and a new cotter pin.
4. Position the brake caliper and anchor plate assembly and install 2 new bolts.
- Tighten to 200 Nm (148 lb-ft).
5. Install the wheel and tire.

__________________________________

Take care and God Bless,

BVDANI
  • 2006 FORD F-150
Gentlemen,
Just last week I was driving my 2006 F150 up through the mountains when it all of the sudden the brakes started to make noise in the front about 5 minutes later it came back. I took it to a mechanic only to find out why. They held off on repairs to let me decide what to do. Please help? Thank you.
Hi,

Replacing brakes and rotors isn't too big of a job. First, take a look through this link. It shows in general how it's done. You can use it as a guide.

Here are directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pic correlates with the directions.

______________________________________

Front
FRONT
Brake Pads

pic 1

Removal

Installation

- Tighten to 74 Nm (55 lb-ft).

Disc Removal and Installation, Front
DISC REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION, FRONT
Brake Disc

Removal

1. Remove the wheel and tire.

- Discard the spindle nut.

Installation

2. Install a new spindle nut.
- Tighten to 400 Nm (295 lb-ft).
- Tighten to 200 Nm (148 lb-ft).
5. Install the wheel and tire.

__________________________

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Take care and God Bless,

-1
QUINTERKS
  • 2004 FORD F-150
I have a 2004, F-150, 4X2 Supercrew Lariat, 5.4 V-8, 4-wheel anti-lock brakes. The vehicle has 90,000 miles. I tires replaced and while the truck was up on the lift I looked at the brake rotors and pads. The rotors and pads had normal wear but I knew that pads would need replacement within the next 10,000 miles. I asked the auto shop, a nation wide business that does tires, batteries, brakes, front-end alignments, and lube services, to measure the wear on the rotors. I was told that the rear rotors could be turned when I replaced the pads, but the front rotors on the truck cannot be turned because the wheel bearing are a sealed part of the rotor so when I replace the pads I would have to have new brake rotors installed. Is this true that the front rotors on 2004 F-150 trucks cannot be turned if there is normal wear and the thickness is within the limits?
DOCFIXIT
Your being hosed rotor simply pulls off hub on 4WD see diagram

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_313.jpg

Let me guess Firestone?
+1
ZINKDAVID
Just had my front brakes done (04 F150 xlt, 70,000 miles), ran into the same situation and this came from my mechanic I have been using for many years. He started investigating and found it was a year Ford had a better idea and put a bunch of heave duty parts on the brake systems. He said there was no way to turn them and had to replace.
EVANSMD3
  • 2004 FORD F-150
Hello, I just replaced the brake pads on my F-150 and the left rotor kind of wobbled when I took the caliper off, then I was able to easily slide the rotor off the rest of the axle assembly. Is that how it is supposed to go or is something wrong?
Tuesday, April 6th, 2021 AT 12:09 PM (Merged)

Sponsored links