My air conditioner is not working why?

GREGORY STERLING SR.
  • 2005 BUICK LESABRE
A/C clutch engages but gauges do not show a change of pressure when clutch engages. No cooling at all can you help me fix it?
Sunday, May 6th, 2018 AT 5:24 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

This sounds like the compressor has gone out or the system is low on charge or a fuse is bad, these videos and guides can help us fix the problem with diagrams below to show you how on your car. I have included the AC wiring diagrams as well so you can see how the system works.

https://youtu.be/4UjfQKvrB6Y not working

and

https://youtu.be/uZrQCGwXfek recharge

and

https://youtu.be/yrhWKlQEPWw leak detection

and

https://youtu.be/4EqdrBVb0sY vacuum and recharge

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-air-conditioner-not-working-or-is-weak

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Monday, May 7th, 2018 AT 3:28 AM
DON WANTKE
  • 2005 BUICK LESABRE
2005 buick lesabre custom I replaced the condenser, vacuumed the system for 3 hours added a 3oz oil charge and added refrigerant a/c blows cold on passenger side and hot on drivers side I know i'm still low on charge by aprox 12 oz what i'm looking for is the location of the low pressure switch used to cycle the compressor
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 11:22 AM (Merged)
All I saw was the ac pressure sensor. Location in picture.
DON WANTKE
The switch in the wiring diagram is on the compressor high side discharge going to the condenser It's hard to believe this switch controls the operation of the a/c compressor. On the old R-12 systems there was a low pressure switch on the suction line that cycled the compressor. Any help would be appreciated thanks
SUPPUSH
  • 2004 BUICK LESABRE
The air conditioner is blowing ice cold air on passenger side, but warm air on the drivers side. If I set it to vent ( no air conditioner or heat) the cold air warms to outside air temperature on the passenger side, but the drivers side gets hotter, both of the heater core lines are red hot, I am thinking the thermostat must be leaking through, but a quick google search is talking about actuators and other things, I had 38 psi on the low side of the compressor so I believe it is charged correctly.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 11:23 AM (Merged)
KEN
Hello, sorry for the slow response,

The air conditioner is charged correctly because you are getting cold air on one side, here is an guide on which actuator does what.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Let me know how it goes

Best, Ken

+1
SUPPUSH
Hello ken,
thanks for getting back to me. I believe I fixed the issue I added another pound of 134a, and they are all blowing cold. Very strange as the low side was not dropping below 32 degrees. I do residential hvac for a living. Im assuming that possibly only half the evaporator was getting cold, as ive seen with sticking txv valves etc. But the refrigerant seems to have fixed it. My wifes grandfather is getting cool air again :) if he comes back in a week ill have to try to figure out where the blend doors are.

Thanks again,
Martin
KEN
Hey Martin

I had not heard of half the evaporate not getting cold but there is a first time for everything, good to hear you got it fixed. Please let us know what it goes this weekend, thanks for using 2CarPros

Best, Ken
JOHNOAKLEY
  • 2002 BUICK LESABRE
Ok I have tested the wires into the a c clutch. Im getting 12v hot to both wires on plug. I know one needs to be a ground in order for the clutch to operate. The trans was swapped by a shade tree mecanic.I need to know if it is possible if he hooked a ground to the wrong place. System is fully charged event replaced transducer switch. I belive that the clutch cycles with the ground. And the ground is directly supplied by the ecm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 11:25 AM (Merged)
The compressor ground is constant. Your description sounds like, no ground. The ground point says to be on top of transmission. The relay controls voltage to compressor. The pcm controls ground for coil side of relay.
+1
DANA_BOURDAGE
  • 1999 BUICK LESABRE
System has been recharged but still only blows hot air.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 11:26 AM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

Is the compressor engaged?

Can you give me the high and low side readings of the pressure?

This could be an electrical issue or it could be something with a blend door if the compressor is on.

LUEVANOJAVIER23
  • 2001 BUICK LESABRE
A/C does not blow sufficient cold air, refrigerant is full. The compressor is working.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 1:12 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Okay,

The low side pressure should be 20-25 pounds.

The high side pressure should be 2 times ambient temperature plus 15 %.

The receiver dryer should feel lukewarm to the touch while running.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/re-charge-an-air-conditioner-system

Check those pressures and let me know the results.

TEDHED
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
AC clutch will not engage. Not sure if a lack of freon will cause this to happen or if that will just result in the unit quick-cycling. Checked corresponding fuse in fuse box beneath steering column. Fuse is good. Not sure where to start. Manual says there is another fuse set on the passenger side. Haven't been able to locate that. Fans, temp sets, all that stuff works in the control panel. I did notice that the fan cycles high and low all the time even when not in auto mode.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 1:13 PM (Merged)
2CEXPT
AC clutch will not engage. Not sure if a lack of freon will cause this to happen

This video will show you how to add

https://youtu.be/uZrQCGwXfek

Is you car's air conditioner blowing warm air only and no cool air? Your A/C cooling problem could be caused by any of the following:

Your A/C system may have lost its charge of refrigerant, or the compressor may not be engaging when you turn on the A/C, or the blend air door inside the HVAC unit may be stuck in the HEAT position so no air goes through the A/C evaporator.

Start with the compressor. Does it engage when you turn on the A/C?

If so, the compressor is working and the A/C system probably contains enough refrigerant to make cold air, so the problem is inside the HVAC unit. Replace the motor that controls the blend air door (this is a difficult job and best left to a professional since it involves tearing apart the HVAC unit -- about an 8 to 10 hour job!).

If the compressor does not engage when you turn on the A/C, see if it will run by jumping the compressor clutch wire directly to the battery (use a fused jumper wire). If the compressor works when you jump it, and the A/C blows cold air, the system contains refrigerant and the fault is likely a bad A/C compressor clutch relay or a bad clutch cycling switch or pressure switch.

If the compressor does not engage when you jump it, the problem is a bad compressor clutch.

If the clutch engages but the compressor does not turn (the belt will start to slip and squeal), the compressor is loced up and you need a new compressor.

If the compressor clutch engages and turns the compressor, but the A/C still does not blow cold air, the system is probably low on refrigerant and needs to be recharged. If you Have an A/C gauge set, hook it up and see if the system has any pressure.

If it is out of refrigerant or is low, check for leaks, then have the A/C system vacuum purged to remove air. After the air is out, it can be recharged with the specified amount of refrigerant. It is important to get any air out as this will reduce cooling efficiency and may make the compressor noisy.

My advice to you if you know nothing about A/C service is to find a repair shop that specializes in A/C repairs and let them fix your cooling problem for you. Today's A/C systems with automatic climate control are very complex and reuire special tools and know-how to diagnose and repair.
+5
WMELVIN
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
After changing the battery I no longer get air out the dash vents. I have windshield and floor air. I can redirect it to either of those locations or both at once. I dropped the glove box door and nothing moves there. I also checked, there is vacuum present. I have also removed fuse 9C for a reset and it's no different. It is automatic climate control.

I do get a light but no noise that I can hear other than the fan running. The vent led works as well as the others. If I turn on the recirculate button it lights but air comes from the windshield vents and the floor. It blows cold air also.

The person I purchased the car from said this started when she replaced the battery but I have been through all that procedure and nothing works. Should I be able to move the control arm behind the glove box manually?

I do have battery voltage between those two wires. The programmer is bad is it something I can replace and do you know where to find it for the best price?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 1:14 PM (Merged)
93LESABRE
I had the same problem with my lesabre and it turned out to be just a vacuum hose that came un-done so check your vacuums and if there are any undone then that might be your problem
+2
KEN
The passenger mix link for the blend door which is what brings in cold air and directs it through the heater core to make it hot. Now there is a HVAC programmer just in front of that it is a box with the vacuum lines and two connectors on it this is that we need to test as that tells the system what to do.

Now here is a reset procedure to do when the battery has been changed or died.
Turn key on then off see if it resets if not then check fuse 9C if it is good then then make sure key is off and disconnect the programmer. With a volt meter check for voltage between the black and white wire (E1) and the orange wire (E13).

You should have battery voltage between these two wires if not then fix the fuse or short if it all good then make sure there are no harness problems and replace the programmer. Here is a pic of the HVAC system as well. Let me know what you find.

The programmer is a common problem in these cars and can you can get one through Amazon for $365.00

Here is a better image on how to replace it. (Below) Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
+1
ANDY STAFFORD
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
I just replace my A/C condenser, A/C pump. My A/C cuts out after it run for about an hour it starts blowing hot air again.

Sponsored links