91 Olds 98 Regency Elite Radio not working

GSPIESE
  • 1991 OLDSMOBILE 98
I just bought this car and the dealer told me the radio doesn't work, and it doesn't. There seems to be two radio units. The one is part of the dash display to the right of the speedometer. It has a tape player built-in. The other is lower on the dash next to the cig lighter. It has no power button but plays CD's. When I try to put a CD into the player it makes a noise and won't pull-in the CD. There is an LED display on the CD unit but it's not lit-up. I need to know how to get this unit out so I can replace it. Also the upper dash radio does have a power button and the LED's do light. I was able to change the time fine, but when I select AM or FM I just get static on all stations. I checked the auto antenna and it goes up and down properly. The antenna wire is plugged into the antenna. I want to check the dash unit to ensure the antenna wire is connected properly. How do I do that? I checked the fuses 24, 11, 9 and a random few others. All fuses were good but radio still just static. Suggestions for me to try and/or manuals on how to remove both units (Owners Manual doesn't have instructions) is appreciated.
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 1:55 PM

SATURNTECH9
On a car that old I don't have as much repair info can you snap a pic of the radio and CD player and post it?Usually you just pop the bezel off and remove the 7mm screws.
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 2:23 PM
GSPIESE
Well, I've taken out a couple of radios bu those had obvious bezels. This car's bezels (if there are any) aren't obvious and I don't want to just go in and start prying on edges- that's how I end up breaking things LOL! The upper radio is in the dash and I do see two screws on the upper section but didn't want to which removes the entire dash face plate, not just where the radio is. I wanted to get specific instructions on how to get these units out to check the backs and/or replace (the lower CD unit) needs replacing but I don't think the upper in-dash one does. The car runs great BTW. I've attached two photos you asked for. Thanks!
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 2:53 PM
GSPIESE
I've been googling this problem and there have been probleml mentions about the radio getting locked when it looses power. The radio didn't work when I got it and I did swap out that battery with a newer one, which removes the power and the radio still doesn't work. Could it be a lockout code? I don't have any documentation on a lockout code tho. If it's required, how do I get one and how do I enter the code?
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 3:08 PM
GSPIESE
I found instructions on removing the bezel and how to get the upper radio out at <http://www.carstereoremoval.com>

The lower CD payer is an option and these cars without one show wood-grain panel across where the CD player now sits. I did do some prying to see how to get the cover bezel off, but couldn't see how to do it. I still need that info.
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 3:55 PM
SATURNTECH9
There is no anti theft code on the factory radios that old that I know of
Also if the code locks the gm radios they won't have any sounds or display radio stations.I will look when I get home if I can find a radio removal procedure.
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 3:58 PM
SATURNTECH9
I will see what I can fin on the CD player.
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 4:18 PM
SATURNTECH9
Having trouble finding the info on removal of the CD player. Cars that old don't have a lot of Info on Mitchelloon demand.
Friday, November 29th, 2013 AT 7:20 PM
GSPIESE
I was able to remove both the upper radio/tape player and the lower CD player. On both the entire face plate needed to be removed. The upper one required removing 5 screws. But to get it out I had to use a heat gun on the plastic because it was so cold here. Found the radio's antenna plug was not plugged-in (that's why I was just getting a hiss- static- sound)! Plugged it and radio worked perfectly.

Got the lower CD player out after testing un-re plugging the two connectors. Found the same model (16152173) for $567.77! I'm not going to pay that price for a very old CD player. Now I am looking for a replacement that will fit into the opening in the dash and not having much luck. But thanks for your efforts!
Saturday, November 30th, 2013 AT 1:23 PM
SATURNTECH9
Sorry trying to find a radio that will fit in place of the CD player in dash?
Saturday, November 30th, 2013 AT 2:04 PM