The other night my vehicle with a 3.8L would not crank. There was a odd buzzing sound coming from the starter solenoid area. Thinking a drained battery, we tried jumping it off and that's when things got fun. The solenoid got very hot, the cable from the battery got so hot the insulation was melting. There was something smoking not sure if it was the solenoid or ignition control module. So we unhooked the battery and let things cool off over night. This morning I looked under the hood and it looks like the ICM melted. There is a black sticky rubbery goo that seems to have run out from behind it.
My question is, is this a problem with the solenoid, ICM, coil, ground or something else or all of the above? It made the buzzing sound once before after sitting for a while and we changed the battery which fixed it. This battery is less than a year old.
Is it best at this point to replace all of the ignition components and cables/ground connections or am I even in the right ballpark?
*Full disclaimer-before last night I did not know what an ICM or ignition coil was and what I do know about them I learned from many internet searches in the last twenty four hours.
have the same problem?
Thursday, June 8th, 2017 AT 5:44 PM