"service battery charging system" after jump

SARAH MAY
  • 2009 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Today my battery died pretty randomly. We were sitting in the car using battery power, but not really long enough to cause the battery to die I would think. And the dash board showed the battery light, and screen said "service battery charging system" and "battery saving mode"We got a jump, and the "battery saving mode" notification turned off, but the battery light remained on as well as the "service battery charging system" notification.

Had battery and alternator tested as soon as we got the car started, and everything tested fine. So the battery and the alternator are not the issue.

So I am trying to find out why the light and notification is still on. I read some things about a voltage regulator, and some other stuff. Could this be a code that just needs to be cleared or should I have other things looked at?
Sunday, December 1st, 2019 AT 5:27 PM

SCGRANTURISMO

The voltage regulator is an internal component in the alternator that regulates the output of the alternator to keep it from overcharging the battery. If the alternator tested good, then the voltage regulator is good too. The battery tested good as well, so this could be a problem with the wires running from the alternator to the battery or the connections on the battery terminals themselves. In the diagrams down below I have included the charging circuit wiring diagram for your vehicle as well as guides on how to find unwanted resistance in an automotive electrical circuit using the voltage drop method. You will need to use a Digital MultiMeter[DMM] to do this, so here is a link below for you on how to use one, if needed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-voltmeter

Please go through these guides, check the connections on the battery terminals and get back to us with what you are able to find out. We will go from there. P.S. I have highlighted the wires in question for you on the wiring diagram.

Thanks,
Alex
2CarPros
Monday, December 2nd, 2019 AT 3:48 AM

Sponsored links