2015 Hyundai Elantra Gas range

RTYDSK8
  • 2015 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
  • 204 MILES
I just bought a Hyundai Elantra 2015 when the sales guy gave me the keys they filled it up all the way the gas range said 311 till the tank is empty my wife has the same car she filled hers up and it say 400 somthing miles till it's empty I filled mine up yesterday and it just keeps going down every day does go back up after I fill it people at the dealer ship said its the way I'm driving it the computer dectetects that. On every car I had that show me miles till I was empty always went back up when I filled it not down. Do u guys no what's wrong are they right they rest stuff with the trip button but still the same
Thursday, May 21st, 2015 AT 4:57 PM

RECKON IT MIGHT COULD BE THAT THE RINGS AIN'T COMPLETELY BROKE INTO THE CYLINDER WALLS, SAME MIGHT GO WITH THE CAM LOBES?

YOU DIDN'T POST THE MILEAGE

MY FRIEND, A PRODUCTION ENGINE RE-BUILDER, SAYS 10,000 MILES WAS THE BREAK-IN PERIOD FOR THE JEEP ENGINE HE MACHINED FOR ME (COURSE, MINES A '77 CJ-5, I BUILT THE ENGINE IN 1995, IT'S STILL GOING STRONG)

DURING MY BREAK IN PERIOD, I CHANGED THE OIL AT 500, 1000, 3000 MILES, THEN ONTO THE REGULAR 3000 MILE CHANGES, HE TOLD ME THAT CITY TYPE DRIVING HELPED A LOT, IF ON THE HIGHWAY, VARY THE SPEEDS (DON'T REMAIN AT A CONSTANT SPEED FOR LONG PERIODS)

I'M NOT REALLY INTO NEW STUFF, AS MY TWO JEEPS WILL LAST FOREVER, I GENERALLY DEAL WITH CARBURETED STUFF.

WERE YOU GIVEN "SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS" ON HOW TO TREAT IT FOR THE BREAK IN PERIOD, OR DID THEY JUST TURN YOU LOOSE WITH THE KEYS?

Thursday, May 21st, 2015 AT 6:02 PM
ED-WEEZY21
Just to add to this one CJ, he's not exactly talking about gas mileage itself. I get this complaint a lot at work. It's the estimation of how many miles the vehicle has until empty. I've called my Hyundai Techline and the only fix I ever get is to disconnect the battery for at least 10 minutes and then reconnect. The mileage estimation should go up. But keep in mind, this estimation is strictly just an estimate. It will fluctuate at every fill up. In my mind, I would say plus or minus 50 miles of what the average is is probably normal. Anything more than that, it's a bad estimate.
Saturday, May 23rd, 2015 AT 4:25 PM
I REALLY AIN'T FIGGERED OUT THE NEED FOR THE "REAL TIME" PART OF THE NEW ESTIMATION SYSTEM (I RECON IT'S JUST ANOTHER DRIVING DISTRACTION TOY)

ANY VARIANCE IN YOUR DRIVING HABIT (MAINLY THE THROTTLE) MAY CHANGE YOU FROM 30 MPGs TO 15 MPGs FOR SECONDS, THEN BACK AND FORTH THE ENTIRE TIME YOU DRIVE.

IN ALL REALITY WHAT IS REALLY MATTERING HERE IS HOW FAST AM I GONNA BE OUTTA FUEL

WELL THE TRADITIONAL FUEL GAUGE IS GONNA BE THE MOST ACCURATE DEVICE. IT'LL TELL YOU HOW MUCH FUEL IS LEFT, REGARDLESS IF YOU DRIVE LIKE GRANDMA OR IF YOU THINK YOU ARE A NASCAR DRIVER.

AS FAR AS ACTUAL MPGs YOU ARE GETTING PER TANK (IF YOU ARE DRIVING LIKE A THRIFTY, BUT REASONABLE [GRANNY OR EQUIVALENT] ) THIS IS AN AVERAGE BASED ON THE WHOLE TANK AND THE MILES TRAVELED

(WHO CARES THAT YOU WERE GETTING 28 MPGs AS YOU PASSED "FRED'S STORE", THEN YOU GOT 15 MPGs WHEN YOU FLOORED IT GOING UP PIKE'S PEAK)

I USUALLY SAY SOMETHING LIKE "I GOT 18 MPG ON THIS TANK, LAST TANK WAS 17.2 MPGs" (NOT MY 1sT GALLON WAS 10, 2nd WAS 8, 3rd WAS 12, ETC)

SAME TANK/ FILLED TILL IT WOULD HOLD NO MORE. THE ONLY CHANGES WERE THE WEATHER/ MY TEMPERAMENT OR HABITS/ WHERE I DROVE/ HOW THE ROADS "MADE ME DRIVE"

SOMETHING I SEEN SEVERAL TIMES WAS THE INABILITY OF PEOPLE TO DO THIS THE OLD WAY! (WHICH WOULD/ COULD VERIFY IF MR. MILEAGE COMPUTER IS LYING OR NOT)

I HAD TO 'SPLAIN IT!

1) FILL UP TILL NO MORE WILL GO INTO YOUR TANK (NO NEED IN KNOWING THE GALLONS RIGHT NOW)

2) WRITE DOWN THE ODOMETER READING (EX. 1000 MILES)

3) DRIVE (WHERE EVER/ HOWEVER)

4) AT ANY TIME (USUALLY WHEN NEARING EMPTY, FOR BEST AVERAGES)

5) STOP AND RE-FUEL TILL IT WILL HOLD NO MORE

6) WRITE DOWN THE GALLONS YOU JUST PUT IN (EX. 100 GALLONS)

7) WRITE DOWN THE ODOMETER READING (EX. NOW 2000 MILES) (YOU GOT A THOUSAND MILES W/ THIS TANK!)

8) NOW DIVIDE THE MILES (1000) BY THE GALLONS (100)

10) YOU GOT 10 MPG (MILES PER GALLON)! WHOA!

OR HECK, DO IT MY WAY

KEEP YOUR RIG(S) OVER-MAINTAINED/ BY TIME AND MILES, FOR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE, AS PRESCRIBED IN OWNER'S/ REPAIR MANUALS (AND IN BETWEEN, FIX WHATEVER BREAKS, IMMEDIATELY!)

SHOULD MY GAUGES QUIT WORKING OR I'M NOT PAYING ATTENTION OR JUST TRYING TO STRETCH IT OUT TO THE NEXT FUEL STATION.

I NEVER WORRY IF I RUN OUT!

"MR. JEEP" (PIC 1) IS TOTIN' ABOUT 85 MORE MILES ON THE BACK END (HE GETS AROUND 18 MPG)

"WILLY" (PIC 2) IS TOTIN' ABOUT 70 MORE MILES (HE'S GETTIN' ABOUT 14 MPG)

MR. CAN HOLDS 4.8 GALLONS, HE'S HAS COME OFF THE BACK MORE TIMES FOR OTHER FOLKS, THAN FOR US!

Saturday, May 23rd, 2015 AT 6:52 PM
ED-WEEZY21
Well just to clarify, on these hyundais, there is a difference between the "real time" mileage and just the estimation of the full tank itself. For example, you fill the tank and the vehicle tells you that you have 300 miles until empty. But then there's a completely separate gauge that fluctuates up or down based on throttle. You can cruise on the highway and it'll steady at 30 MPG real time then floor it and see it immediately drop to 10 MPG real time. But overall I agree with you. I don't see the point of all this extra stuff to tell you your gas mileage. I've always been fine with my needle. And if the gauge doesn't work, you do exactly what you said. Calculate it.
-1
Sunday, May 24th, 2015 AT 8:46 AM