Code P2015, crank no start?

ZACHTHOM
  • 2013 JEEP COMPASS
Hello. A couple days ago my vehicle listed above (Latitude with 45,000 miles) was running smoothly, no issues or red flags. Yesterday morning I went to start it up and the engine cranked with no start along with a check engine light, code P2015 (Intake Manifold Runner Sensor). I checked and replaced the sensor, same issues. I can hear the fuel pump engaging when I turn the key to the "on" position and I made sure that fuel was making it through the lines by detaching the fuel line at the engine and turning on/cranking with the fuel line in a dry bottle. No water in the fuel and pressure looks fine. Fuse box looks good, nothing blown. I have reset the computer and no new codes have come up. Could it be the spark plugs? I haven't checked them yet. Any other suggestions? Thank you.
Monday, January 23rd, 2023 AT 10:15 AM

ZACHTHOM
Edit: update, checked the spark plugs, they are good as well. Any other ideas?
Monday, January 23rd, 2023 AT 2:53 PM
Hi,

If you have a crank with no start condition, you may not be getting spark to the spark plugs or fuel to the engine. I realize you checked if fuel was present, but that doesn't mean the fuel injectors and injecting.

Do me a favor. See if the engine starts for a couple of seconds using starting fluid. If it does and then stalls, we know it is a fuel-related issue. If there is no change, then check to see if there is spark at the plugs.

Here is a link that explains how this is done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-for-ignition-spark

Let me know the results.

Take care,

Monday, January 23rd, 2023 AT 6:11 PM
ZACHTHOM
Thank you for your reply, Joe. Checked with started fluid, no change still a crank/no start. Also checked the spark as per the steps and video in your attached link and no spark visible. (I even went so far as to test all the terminals both with the wire test and with a spare spark plug, I had no spark.
Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 AT 9:36 AM
Hi,

My first suspect is the crankshaft sensor (CKP). If the CKP fails, you will lose ignition spark.

We have two ways we can go. Replace the sensor or use a live data scan tool, check for an RPM signal while the engine is being cranked. If you don't have a scan tool to do this, watch if the tachometer moves a little when cranking.

I attached the directions for replacing the CKP below. Let me know your thoughts and how I can help.

Also, take a look at this link. I feel you will find it of interest.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-crankshaft-sensor

Take care,

See pics below.
Tuesday, January 24th, 2023 AT 2:02 PM
ZACHTHOM
Hi Joe. I don't have that live data scan tool, but I did watch the tachometer just now and the needle did move when cranking the engine, so I'm assuming that means there is an RPM signal. Just so I know, what does this tell me about the CKP. (I am waiting on the sensor at the moment.)
Wednesday, January 25th, 2023 AT 5:43 AM
Hi,

If the tachometer is moving, that indicates there is a signal from the CKP. So, why no spark to any of the plugs? All 4 coil packs wouldn't fail at the same time. Here is what to do next:

If you look below, I attached the wiring schematic for testing coils. Note that each one of the coils will have a brown wire with a gray tracer and a second wire that will be different at each coil.

First, check both fuse 18 and fuse 23 in the power distribution box under the hood. It is important that if the fuse is good that you confirm there is power to and from both.

Here is a link that you may find helpful:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

If both fuses are good and have power, turn the key to the run position. Check each coil's brown wire with a gray tracer for power. With the key on, each coil should have power to that wire.

Let me know what you find.

Take care,

See pics below. Pic 3 shows the fuse locations. If both are good, switch the ASD relay with a known good one from the box having the same part number to see if that makes a difference.

Wednesday, January 25th, 2023 AT 7:12 PM

Sponsored links