2012 Honda Civic Popping under heavy braking

MIDWEST-DAVE
  • 2012 HONDA CIVIC
Under heavy braking (55+ to 0 in a short amount of time, basically what happens when a light suddenly turns red) I hear what can best be described as a popping sound coming from the driver side front wheel. I can't feel it in the pedal so to me, that would rule out something like pads or rotors. The noise also is not present under every braking situation. I drove around trying to replicate the noise and it took several repeated instances of hard braking from 55mph to make the noise.

The pads were replaced on all wheels about 3k miles ago at which point all rotors were machined. The work was done at a Honda dealer. Im wondering if the noise is ABS related. No lights come on and it's only in one wheel, so I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated.

Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 5:12 PM

RIVERMIKERAT
Do you hear anything similar when driving on rough roads? I would check front suspension components on that side first. It's unlikely, but it might also be that wheel locking up and unlocking really quickly. It could be a suspension component shifting under braking.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 5:18 PM
MIDWEST-DAVE
Unfortunately I don't really have any rough roads where I'm at to test on, asides from ones littered with potholes, so I don't know. However earlier in the year I blew out that tire on the interstate from hitting a pothole at highway speeds and had noticed the occasional pop under hard braking after the tire was replaced.

As far as the suspension components go, what should I look for? I did have a Honda dealer check the vehicle after the pothole incident and they told me it was fine.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 5:32 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Compare components side to side. Look for bent or broken stuff. Look for worn out bushings and leaking struts. Grab things and shake them. Do they feel loose? Check the covers (boots) on the constant velocity (CV) joints on the axle on that side for rips or tears.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 5:56 PM
MIDWEST-DAVE
Okay, I'll have to check those in the coming days. Until then, Based on the description of the issue, is there any suspension component that stands out as a potential problem. I've had cv axels go bad and this doesn't seem like that'd be the issue. Bushings stand out to me.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 6:11 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Bushings would be the first things that stand out to me also. I would think that since you didn't mention anything about any strange popping or grinding noises under heavy acceleration that we're not looking at transaxle problems, but we can't rule them out definitively yet.

Right now I can't remember if your car has strut rods. These are rods that go from the lower control arm to the front frame crossmember. They have bushings at the front frame member. Our reference has images that are horrible, so I can't tell for sure. But this issue has me leaning that way.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 7:41 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Caliper bolts, too.
Sunday, September 13th, 2015 AT 7:59 PM