SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT A HARD TRANSMISSION SHIFT FROM 1ST TO 2D GEAR.

2011 Hyundai Genesis

aapryor

September, 12, 2011 AT 3:16 PM

After my car sits (usually overnight) and I drive the first 50 yds (less than 15 mph) the transmission shifts with a hard thump from 1st to second gear. It runs fine otherwise and will only do this once during the day.

The dealer kept it overnight, ran the standard battery of tests and declared that nothing is wrong. In your opinion, is this analysis correct?

saturntech9

September, 12, 2011 AT 4:11 PM

If it shifts hard from first to second second even just once when cold then shifts good after that you have a problem. Its only going to get worse you could have a issue with your transmission valve body. Most hard shifts are caused by too high of pressure inside the transmission. When the transmission fluid is cold thr fluid pressure could be high enough to cause the hard shift. So did the dealer feel the hrd shift while they had your car over night and drove it in the morning?

aapryor

September, 22, 2011 AT 8:28 PM

No, they indicated that everything checked out fine. As you indicated above, the hard shift is now becoming more noticable. Maybe it is all in my head.

aapryor

September, 22, 2011 AT 8:30 PM

That's a Genesis with 12K (12,000) miles, not 12.

saturntech9

September, 22, 2011 AT 8:43 PM

So its only from first to second?You could have a bad shift solenoid if its only from first to second.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Speed Sensor Replacement Honda