NEED ADVICE ON BRAKES. S SPORT 2.5 WITH 6 SPEED MANUAL.

2010 Mazda 3

ajbenton

June, 5, 2012 AT 1:45 AM

When braking from time to time, I get almost a pulsing from the steering wheel (shakes back and forth rapidly). I'm guessing that it's warped rotors, but I don't feel much (if any) vibration through the pedal. Any other idea what it could be? I have never had the wheels rebalanced, but have rotated the tires every 7500 miles. I'm not particularly hard on my brakes. Seems odd it would have warped rotors after only 25000 miles. Are the brakes fastened to the vehicle in an abnormal way? I've done brake jobs on other cars before (Mazda Protege, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Blazer). The pads on the car currently are still pretty thick. I've head of people "buffing" the brake pads. Thoughts on this? How can one buff them? Grinder? Machine shop? I can have a local machine shop turn the rotors for $10 each, so if I can buff the pads, a front brake job will only run me about $20. Any input is appreciated.

Front Disc Pads

Rear Brake Pads

June, 5, 2012 AT 1:47 AM

Replace the pads and rotors. The more you cut them the sooner they will warp. Use a good quality rotor, not a cheap set and make sure you manually torque your wheels.

Royt

ajbenton

June, 5, 2012 AT 1:51 AM

It's a leased car and I will only have the vehicle for likely another year. I want to spend as little as possible. Why would I replace the rotors at 25000 miles instead of have them resurfaced, taking a miniscule amount off the rotor face? Also, buffing the pads? I have a friend who works at the local Ford/Mazda dealership and he says he buffs the pads on occasion with no problem.

June, 5, 2012 AT 1:54 AM

Buffing will do nothing for the surge as the pads warp as well as the rotors.

I would still do the job correctly with the new pads and rotors.

Front Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Chevy
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Mini Cooper
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy