SWOOSHING NOISE

2009 Honda CRV

lauralanier

August, 23, 2011 AT 2:40 PM

This morning while in drive thru my CRV made a swooshing noise and steam came out from under hood and vents. I had the AC on when it happened and immeditaely turned it off and the car was OK. NO warnings or anything so it was not overheating. I thought it was going to die on me at first. When I turned AC back on (when I got home) the air was cold but did not sound the same. I made appt with mechanic but wanted to have some idea of what it could be and how much it will cost. Thanks. Car is a 2009 and has 58K miles.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

fixitmr

August, 23, 2011 AT 3:10 PM

Was there any odor associated with the steam? Sounds like ya sprung a leak of either coolant or freon? But if there was an odor definable it would help. Pretty hard to give a price since the info is sparce. Could be a hose (cheap) or the radiator (expensive) etc. Have you looked under hood yourself to see if anything is obvious?

lauralanier

August, 23, 2011 AT 10:23 PM

There was a smell, kind of a sulphur/burning smell. I have not looked under hood, don't know anything about the stuff under there. I tried AC again and it does not work, car itself seems fine now just no AC.

fixitmr

August, 24, 2011 AT 3:49 AM

Air not working means not cold or not blowing? Probably a 200-800 fix depending on what needs replacing and whether you go dealer or independent/shadetree/freind. You could take it in for estimate and see what it needs. Your geographical area also has an effect on price.