Annoying Brake Noise

MSMIA
  • 2009 HONDA ACCORD
I had my brakes replaced in March by Honda. The service technician advised my rotors were a little worn and they would take care of it. Every since then I've been hearing a grinding noise when I apply the brakes. Whether it's backing up, slowing to a stop signal, slow accleration, etc. Whatever the situation, it's becoming more annoying. I have taken my car back on 3 different occasions and explained to them the noise I was hearing. The service mgr and brake specialist rode with me and heard the noise. But the problem still exsists. Can someone please tell me what this could possibly be so I can inform Honda. Maybe then they will decide to make the proper repairs.
Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 AT 12:26 AM

Sounds like they might have used higher quality brake pads than what came on the car originally. Most dealers do not use original brake pads from the manufacturer because of the high cost unless they are repairing something under warranty. They can buy higher quality parts at a lower price locally, but in general, the higher the quality, the more likely they are to squeal. That is different though than a grinding sound.

If they machined your brake rotors to save you money, there could easily have been large rust spots on the back side that weren't affecting the braking before, but after the machining, more of that rust could be hitting the pads. That CAN make it sound like the front end is going to fall off! The cure for that is to just buy new rotors. Fortunately, rotors like yours that used to cost around $100.00 each 20 years ago cost WAY less today.

If the mechanic doesn't see large rust pits, or a ridge of rust on the inner or outer edges of the braking surfaces, they may have to try less expensive, softer brake pads. Those rust ridges I'm referring to sometimes get missed during the machining process, but they wear down after a few days and don't cause a problem after that.

If the guys rode with you and heard the noise, they should be able to determine the cause and correct it. Very often those noises will show up when running the car in gear with it up on a hoist.
Wednesday, June 8th, 2011 AT 12:44 AM
HONDA TECH 1818
Is the rear brakes ok? The rear brakes wears out fast on 2009 Accord. If the rear brakes are ok I would check the front dust plates. Sometimes they get bent or misalign and could noises when braking.
Sunday, June 12th, 2011 AT 7:06 PM
MSMIA
Thanks for the reply. Honda Tech 1818. It was the front brakes.

Caradiococ, I would think they could come up with a solution after having 3 different guys ride with me. However, they all still appear to be rather clueless. Also, you are exactly right about the front end sounding like its about to fall off. This issue is really beginning to bother me. Primarily because I feel this issue is being handled poorly by honda and the fact that this may very well be a safety hazard for me.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 12:53 AM
It's most likely not a safety issue, just a major irritant. Something that might help in a case like this is a tool called a "Chassis Ear". That is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. The microphones are placed at suspect points, then you switch between them and listen while on a test drive. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool, but most new car dealers have it.
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 2:55 AM