Wont shift out of park.

MR.ELDRIDGE
  • 2009 FORD F-150
Brake lights not coming on when I push brake pedal. Wont let it shift out of park. Changed brake pedal position switch checked all fuses. Getting power to switch. Still not working. Any help would be appriteated
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 7:37 AM

Can you check for power at fuse # f76 20 amp under the hood fuse panel. Here is a guide to help us test for power and the brake light wiring diagrams so you can see how the system works.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
+1
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 8:27 AM
MR.ELDRIDGE
Which wires do I check. I can put a jumper in and it works lights just stay on constantly while key on? I will check the fuse tonight when I get home.
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 9:12 AM
When you use the jumper wire, are you taking power from a different supply?
+1
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 9:24 AM
MR.ELDRIDGE
Jumping from pin 3 to 4
+1
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 9:52 AM
Then there is power to the switch. If you manually actuate the switch, do you get power out?
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 9:53 AM
MR.ELDRIDGE
Yes, it was the fuse the problem is fixed thank so much
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 10:09 AM
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.
Tuesday, December 17th, 2013 AT 10:37 AM
BIGTRAVLER
  • 2007 FORD F-150
Hello I have a f150,2007auto transmision park release button problem ive replaced the brake switch and the fuse and its still giving me a problem it wont come out of park?
Tuesday, May 14th, 2019 AT 12:08 PM (Merged)
Ya this is the shift interlock. If it's a column shift it's on the steering column if it's a floor shift it's by the floor shift.
+1
RONNIEN50
  • 2004 FORD F-150
I came home and put my truck into park. I went back out to move my truck and it would not start and made a funny clicking sound from the dash. It sounded like the blinkers were activated and the gauges proceeded to move from right to left with the clicking sound once they were all the way back it would pulse. If I turned on the lights or depressed the brakes it would stop? I have checked fuses they are all good. The steering wheel will only lock if I turn to the right. I am currently recharging the battery to see if thast is causing the problem. Still cannot get the shifter out of park.
+1
Tuesday, May 14th, 2019 AT 12:09 PM (Merged)
Still cannot get the shifter out of park.

You probably have a problem with the shift interlock system
RONNIEN50
I tested the battery and found it had a bad cell. Replaced the Battery and the problem went away. Nice Patch had one in Korea
RONNIEN50
I tested the battery and found it had a bad cell. Replaced the Battery and the problem went away.
-1
Western corridor 3rd brigade 2ID 7Cav Camp Gary Owens 1975
REDSKINSFAN34
  • 2002 FORD F-150
My truck won't shift out of park. When brake is pushed, gear shift handle doesn't want to come back all the way to enable it to shift into a gear. It's never done it before. Gear lever is not loose.
DAVE H
PINPOINT TEST A (F150 PICKUP)

Possible Cause
Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch.
Loose or damaged connections.
Open fuses.
Shift interlock actuator.

Diagnostic Procedure
Apply the brake pedal and view brakelights. Do the brakelights illuminate? If so, go to step 7. If not, go to next step.
Ensure ignition switch is in OFF position. Measure resistance in fuse No. 15 (5-amp). Is the resistance 5 ohms or less? If so, go to step 4. If not, go to next step.
Disconnect Brake Pedal Position (BPP) switch harness connector. Measure the resistance between BPP switch harness connector terminal No. 3 and ground. Is the resistance 10 k/ohms or less? If so, repair short to ground in White/Yellow wire and test the system for normal operation. If not, go to next step.
Measure the resistance between output side of fuse No. 15 (5-amp) and the BPP switch harness connector terminal No. 3. See Fig. 53. Is the resistance 5 ohms or less? If so, go to next step. If not, repair open in White/Yellow wire and test the system for normal operation.
Measure the resistance of the BPP switch while open (OFF) and closed (ON). See Fig. 55. Is the resistance of switch greater than 10 k/ohms while OFF, and 5 ohms or less while ON? If so, go to next step. If not, replace BPP switch. See BRAKE PEDAL POSITION SWITCH under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. After repairs, test the system for normal operation.
Measure the resistance between BPP switch harness connector terminal No. 1 and ground. See Fig. 16. Is the resistance 10 k/ohms or less? If so, repair short to ground in Red/Light Green wire and test the system for normal operation. If not, go to next step.
Measure the resistance between the shift interlock actuator harness connector terminal No. 1 and the BPP switch harness connector terminal No. 2. See Fig. 54. Is the resistance 5 ohms or less? If so, go to next step. If not, repair open in Red/Light Green wire and test the system for normal operation.
Measure the voltage between shift interlock actuator harness connector terminal No. 3 and ground. See Fig. 18. Does battery voltage exist? If so, go to step 12. If not, go to next step.
Measure resistance in fuse No. 6 (5-amp). Is the resistance 5 ohms or less? If so, go to step 11. If not, go to next step.
Measure the resistance between shift interlock actuator harness connector terminal No. 3 and ground. See Fig. 19. Is the resistance 10 k/ohms or less? If so, repair short to ground in Gray/Yellow wire and test the system for normal operation. If not, go to next step.
Measure the resistance between output side of fuse No. 6 (5-amp) and the shift interlock actuator harness connector terminal No. 3. See Fig. 56. Is the resistance 5 ohms or less? If so, go to next step. If not, repair open in Gray/Yellow wire and test the system for normal operation.
Measure the resistance between the shift interlock actuator harness connector terminal No. 2 and ground. See Fig. 12. Is the resistance 5 ohms or less? If so, replace shift interlock actuator and test the system for normal operation. See SHIFT INTERLOCK ACTUATOR under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION. If not, repair open in Black wire and test the system for normal operation.
-1
REDSKINSFAN34
Fuse # 15 was blown. Replaced it and everything was fine for 30 seconds then it blew again. The dome light is also run off that fuse. Could that be the problem? We also had a quick freeze here the other night and it was the next morning when the provlem started. Possibly ice somewhere it shouldn't be?
-1
DAVE H
Could be ice formed on dome light wiring somewhere but according to my fuse box diagram the fuse F2.15 has GEM, brake pressure switch and brake pedal position switch. Is more likely a damaged/broken wire on pedal circuit? Or damaged switch?
SENOR MULE
Dave H - you know your stuff! You hit this right on the head - The dome lights (reading lights as listed in the owner's manual) are tied into fuse #15 (5 Amp)(under steering wheel). If the the interior lights don't work as the is opened, something is shorted or fuse is blown. If you are in a remote location you can barely actuated the key and get it to shift into neutral to start it and get you mobile to an auto parts store.

Thanks Dave - this happened on a cold, rainy day, at a remote site in East Texas Swamps and you got me running in under a minute.
DAVE H
No problem. Anytime, that's what we are here for. Anytime we can help in the future. Just post

happy motoring

Dave H