2008 TUNDRA RACK AND PINION

• Huntman51
  • 2008 Toyota Tundra
  • automatic

I am removing my rack and pinion from my 2008 tundra crewmax. I have done it before but it was not easy. I want to know though the best/fastest way to get it out.

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 2:48 PM

• Docfixit

Remove wheels, engine cover plate, seperate intermediate shaft from rack, both LH-RH tie rod ends. Remove P/S lines high and return then TWO gear bolts and remove

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:21 PM
  • Huntman51

Ok thank you! Now I do not exactly what the part is called but the part that is attached to the rack that then connects to the steering wheel shaft. Do you have to remove that from the rack to pull it out the side by the right wheel? If so is there any type of special alignment that needs to be set up when inserting that piece back into the rack? Thank you!

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:32 PM
  • Docfixit

Inside cab bottom of column find cover held by three bolts and a nut remove. Pull boot up see shaft and pinch bolt. Scribe matchmark for alignment remove bolt then it will seperate when rack is droped may need a little persuasion. Rack drops down not out wheel well. Will need alignment when done install

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 4:43 PM
  • Huntman51

What am I doing wrong because I could not get it to drop down last time. We had to take it through the wheel well. What do I need to remove for that to work?

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 5:44 PM
  • Docfixit

This is second rack in 66K miles? That isn't right I don't know would need to be there and see is it because tie rod ends hang up?

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 6:00 PM
  • Huntman51

The seal went out in it before and I had a guy repair it but he put the wrong seals in it. The tie rods hang up and it won't pull out the front. It sits on the cross member so you cant go straight down with it. That is why we went out the wheel well but had to first take out the steering insert so it would fit through there.

Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 6:40 PM
  • Docfixit

Try this rotate steering shaft to full right turn that should allow left tie rod to clear and then pull out

+1
Friday, July 15th, 2011 AT 6:56 PM