ASC off and service required light are on

MIKEL2007
  • 2008 MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER
A few days ago the ASC off light and the service required light appeared. I took it to the dealer they told me that the computer control of the ASC is damaged (a small device under the radio console, beside the acceleration pedal ) and that this is the first time they see this problem. Is this the real problem or there is another cause? If this is the real problem is it possible to repair this device?
Thursday, February 17th, 2011 AT 11:36 AM

CIARAN DONNELLY
The same problem has just happened to my 2007 Outlander.
Switched on the car and it just came up for no reason at all.
My private mechanic put it on the computer but could not clear the problem and when he contacted the Mitsubishi dealership they told him the same thing without even looking at it.
My mechanic has tested the ABS and the breaking system is operating fine, so we are going to investigate further before resorting to the suggestion of the dealer at the silly money. I will keep you posted if I find out anything.
Did you get any other advice?
+9
Wednesday, November 16th, 2011 AT 8:52 PM
E LAUS
Hi, I have 2008 v6, my experience.
First the ABS warning start to blink, so the ASC turn to off and four wheel drive start working on lock position.
I took my car for assistance in a Mitsubishi dealer, diagnosis was rear ABS sensor damage need to be replaced.
I took a car to an independent garage, they found same problem in their computer, I saw on computer a different rpm scanned by their tool, as I did not have the sensor to replace I bought a sensor, while ABS sensor was traveling the problem disappeared same it came.

Just after 1500 km ABS problem, ASC off and four wheel drive locked, turn back. Now I am going to change this sensor, but not sure if it is the real problem, I will keep you informed
Any news? Hope you can find a trust-able solution.
Thanks,
E. Laus
-1
Monday, December 19th, 2011 AT 9:35 PM
STEPHCHAYA
Same problem.
ABS light is on. And service necessary is displayed.

Did anyone reached a final solution about this? Please help.

I went today to Mitsubishi and they told me that the problem can be on of the following or all:
1- Control unit, time and alarm ($430.00 plus 1.3 hours.
2- Control unit ($919.00 plus one hour).
3- Hydraulic unit, brake modulator ($315.00 plus four hours).

They did not even mention the sensors.
It is very weird this situation, and please can anyone update.

+3
Thursday, January 29th, 2015 AT 7:25 PM
STEVE_NJ
Same issue. Intermittent. Seems to happen when the outside weather is below freezing.
+1
Monday, January 18th, 2016 AT 10:34 AM
JOHNPALMER
Provided that you get your vehicles checked out to ensure that the ABS is working fine which in most cases with an ASC warning light on it will be. The ASC warning it seems is related to ASC issues which has separate control to the ABS it seems.

We drove our Outlander for a whole year with the ASC warning light on with no adverse affects whatsoever other than the ASC was not operational of course, and 90% of cars on the road do not have ASC anyway.

On the few occasions where the ABS was needed it worked fine and also worked under test.

When we eventually got the problem fixed it turned out to be the ECU for the ASC. Basically a PCB controller board which as an engineer with thirty years experience in electronics and software I would estimate costs Mitsubishi no more than around $30.00 to $50.00 from their supplier.

This however was quoted at 1,200 (approximately $1,900) including labor and as we were buying a new Outlander PHEV I negotiated this down to around 850. (Approximately $1,350.00). The labor and VAT (purchase tax) accounts for a lot of this, but the dealers and Mitsubishi are making a significant chunk of cash out these faults. It is no wonder that they do not solve the problems at source.

Generally speaking my experience of Mitsubishi is not good. The vehicles are over-priced, unreliable and expensive to maintain.

Despite this I have bought the Outlander PHEV as a company vehicle as the fuel/electricity running costs are very good and the tax for the company car benefit if excellent in the UK only 5%.

Having said this it is very expensive to maintain with only 12,000 miles service interval worse than my Jaguar XF 3.0 D S at 16,000 mile intervals for massively higher performance engine being run at much higher stresses!

Our PHEV has done 22,000 miles in year 2/3 of which is on electric no involvement of the engine. So why the heck is the service interval so short? To make more money for the dealers it seems!

Sorry for veering off topic. :)
+7
Monday, January 18th, 2016 AT 12:18 PM