2008 Hyundai Elantra Brake bleeding

PARISS333
  • 2008 HYUNDAI ELANTRA
I have two cars, Elantra and Kia soul 2012, and I need to know how to bleed the brake system, how to change brake fluid by myself before any thing happen, to be prepair?
I heard about gravity bleeding, how is this and does it work or not?
I heard it need to use a scan tool for bleeding, I don't have it, I just bough two scan code, those little one selling on Amazon, I don't know if it work.
Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 AT 7:18 PM

Why do you want to change the brake fluid on such a new car? As far as gravity fed, yes it works. You open the bleeder at the wheel cylinder or caliper and the fluid will come out. However, it will run the master cylinder dry, so make sure to keep it full all the time. As far as a scan tool, I never heard of that. Scan tools are made to read the computer's trouble codes when there is a problem. They do nothing for bleeding brakes.

If you do this, make sure not to get air in the system. Keep brake fluid in the master cylinder at all times. Also, start at the wheel furthest away from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest.

Let me know if you have other questions.
-1
Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 AT 8:29 PM
PARISS333
Elantra is 2008, I bough it on January 2009, that's the one I would like to do it, has 52400 miles. Also, the reason I want to know how to do it is because I don't know when calipers goes bad, or any brake hose and then I don't know what to do.
About the Gravity way, if I open the bleeder in any way, it doesn't absorb air?
I heard and read on Kia and Hyundai website to push brake pedal several time and hold the last one with some thing, then go and open de bleeder and close, then do it again until no air or fluid come out clean, of course adding new in the reservoir, is this ok? It will not hurt the master seals?
The last : I read about cars with ABS need to use scan tool or will get problems.
I appreciate your reply and teaching, thank you very much.
Friday, August 16th, 2013 AT 6:28 PM
PARISS333
Hey, I forgot another issue: My Elantra suppose to replace fuel filter at this miles, and Dealer don't do it, they just want you pump broke to replace the whole thing.
Can you tell me how to replace fuel filter? Is inside the tank, by rear seat. Thank you
Friday, August 16th, 2013 AT 6:34 PM
If you gravity feed it, no air will get in the system. However, if you pump the brakes with the bleeder open, it will suck air when you release the brake pedal.

As far as pumping the brakes first, that is how to bleed them too. Pump the brake, keep pressure on the brake pedal and have a helper open the bleeder on the wheel cylinder or caliper, which ever you are working with. When the bleeder is opened, the brake pedal will go to the floor and brake fluid will shoot out the open bleeder. Once the pedal hits the floor, hold it there and have your helper close the bleeder. At that point, you can release the brake pedal and do it again if there is air in the system. Keep in mind, until you open the system, there is no air in it.

As far as doing this, the car is still somewhat new and shouldn't need any brake lines or hoses. The calipers should be fine too unless they are sticking or there is some other problem is present. The fluid should still be clean. I know some shops recommend doing this, but I feel it is nothing but a money maker for them. I wouldn't do it unless the brake fluid is visually dirty.
Friday, August 16th, 2013 AT 6:36 PM
PARISS333
Beautiful answer. Thank you. Brake oil on Elantra still look clean, so do you think it will hold for ten years? I don't brake too much, still have 60 % and most hwy drive.
What about the fuel filter, even in the manual is recommended to replace at 52.000 miles, but the Dealer don't do it, they don't care what the manual says?
Can you tell me about transmission filter? Dealer doesn't replace either, they do back flush and I heard is hurt transmission, so people recommend on youtuve replace transmission filter and don't put attention to Dealer. Thank you very much for all your help.
Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 3:51 PM
As far as the brake fluid, it should be fine. I have a 35 year old truck that has never had the brake system flushed. I'm not saying there aren't times it could use done, but usually it doesn't. Make sure it is clean. That is your best defense against problems. If it is clean, let it go. My mechanics teacher always said, "If it isn't broke, don't fix it." That was a long time ago, but it still sticks in my mind.

As far as the fuel filter, that is a maintenance item that I would recommend you have changed. Also, the trans fluid should be changed. I always recommend ever 30K miles for transmission fluid and filter. And I agree with you. I feel the filter should be changed. New fluid has a detergent in it. What happens is the new fluid cleans the dirt out of the old filter and then you have dirty fluid again. Keep in mind, when you service the transmission by removing the trans pan, you don't get all the fluid out of it. However, that is the way it has been done for years.

Sunday, August 18th, 2013 AT 8:29 PM
PARISS333
How I can do the whole transmission flush? How I can flush the torque convector?
How I can replace the fuel filter? Do you remember I told you Dealer don't replace or change fuel filter? So, that I have to do it by myself, same with Transmission filter.
Can you tell me how to do cooling flush? How to clean fuel injectors? How to clean intake manifold, valves, pistons, and do engine oil flush?
Wednesday, August 21st, 2013 AT 7:18 PM
The fuel delivery system integrates the fuel filter with the in-tank fuel pump. To service this filter, you must remove the fuel pump. As far as the torque converter, in the old days, they would drill a hole in it, drain it, thread the hole, and plug it. As far as today, that isn't done. The fluid is left in there. A cooling system flush requires that you drain the system then use a flush product. The directions are different for the different brands. Just follow the directions listed on the product. If you are worried about the intake or injectors, just run a good injector cleaner through it. It is added to the fuel in the tank. Now, what do you mean by oil flush? Do you mean change the oil?

The fuel filter is going to be a pain in the butt. I understand why the dealer doesn't want to do it. Removing the tank can be a challenge. And for the trans filter, contact your local parts stores to make sure you can get a filter for your vehicle before you take it apart.
Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 AT 6:53 PM
PARISS333
Engine oil flush, using a machine to clean the whole engine, some time using a bottle of liquid and add it to oil cap, just before oil change or after oil change.
--- What you mean with removing the tank for fuel filer replacement? The Elantra 2008 doesn't need to remove any fuel tank for that.
----Hey, I think youtube know more than your guys. The transmission oil in the converter can be extract it or take out removing the cooler hose, run the car and add oil while the engine is on.
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 3:59 PM
The engine has to be running to get the fluid out of the cooling line. Thus, you are running the transmission dry. In my book, that isn't a good idea (not sure what youtube said). As far as the fuel filter, all my info shows it is an integral part of the fuel pump. Therefore, based on that, the tank needs taken out to access it. As for the engine flush, they make products you can mix with the oil before an oil change that is designed to help clean the engine. However, there is no machine that I ever heard of for that purpose.
Friday, August 23rd, 2013 AT 7:49 PM
PARISS333
For transmission oil flush: Did you read well my comment? It said: With car running, add fluid as old liquid coming out. I never said running dry or allow transmission run completely dry.
---- About fuel filter change: Have you find out about my car? How you can give an answer without looking out there? I don't need to take out the gas tank for this; is something can be done by removing rear seat, and the fuel pump is there, and the fuel filter is inside the fuel pump; but, How your guys respond in this way? Just give wrong advices because you don't get paid or what?
Any way, all your guys told me here, is the same thing I know, same thing I learned on youtube, same thing I just said here. I haven't find any real answer, any new knowledge, so what is the purpose to come here?
Any way, thank you for your time and effort to answering
Thursday, August 29th, 2013 AT 3:52 PM