Truck stops while driving

KENNARD
  • 2008 DODGE TRUCK
What would make our 2008 dodge ram engine shut down while driving. It did not start this until we had a tuneup. We purchased the vehicle 02/10/11 and had no problems with it until the tuneup. We have had it checked at dealership twice. They kept it for a week and said they could not find a problem. We picked it up yesterday and filled the gas tank, drove about 1/4 of a mile and it died as we turned into a parking lot. Please give us some idea of what could be causing this problem. It could be very dangerous. Thank you.
Friday, April 29th, 2011 AT 3:13 PM

Was the battery recently disconnected or run dead? When you start the engine, does it give you a nice "idle flare-up" to around 1500 rpm for a couple of seconds, then come back down to around 800 rpm? When it stalls, can you immediately restart it or do you have to wait a half hour or more for it to cool down?

It also sounds like the crankshaft angle sensor is letting you down. Check for spark when the engine stalls.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Here is what you are in for when replacing the crankshaft sensor.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Please run down this guide and report back

Cheers

+1
Friday, April 29th, 2011 AT 4:11 PM
KENNARD
It idles fine. We don't know if the battery was disconnected or run down. It will restart after the key has been turned off a minute or two.
Friday, April 29th, 2011 AT 5:17 PM
This sounds like a classic cranks senor issue. Here is the sensor and component location for your car.
Friday, April 29th, 2011 AT 6:57 PM
KENNARD
I took the truck down the highway, about 10 miles, there was a momentary hesitation when I got to 60 mph, it went on up to 70 mph. I live in a rural area, don't drive out everyday. I replaced the crankshaft sensor today so I won't be able to tell if the problem is actually fixed until I have to go into town. I will get back to you after my next trip if the truck is still doing it. (May be in a week or so.) Thank you for your help.
Saturday, April 30th, 2011 AT 4:22 PM